How is eTrust AV 7 PROMO on the resources?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tempnexus, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

Ok I know that NOD32 is great on resources but how about eTrust AV 7 Promo? How is that on resources? Is it lighter or heavier?
    Also which scanning engine is better? (heuritics wise) InoculteIT or VET?

Also how long does the promotion last? How long can I keep on updating the eTrust AV7 for free?

2. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

no one knows?

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have ran both of these AV's as primary scanners on a number of computers and I would say that NOD definitely 'felt' the lighter of the two. This was even after shutting down some of the Etrust services and its animated icon on the system tray.

This is probably not surprising as this version of Etrust is mainly for use in the corporate/network environment and would therefore come equipped with a heavier resource demand than a 'home' AV. In fact their 'home' AV, Etrust EZ AV v6 is very light weight in comparison.

Despite this, the server edition can be run quite happily on relatively low spec machines and I know that one of our members here, solarpowered candle, has run this AV on his 'older' machine since the program was released and he is very happy with it.

Of the two engines, the Inoculate engine seems to be better with trojans and backdoors and CA set this up as the default RTM in the server version. The Vet engine appears to be better with ITW and polymorphic detection.

Overall, the Inoculate Engine has some basic packer support, unlike the Vet engine and may offer better overall protection. However, I do not know which one has the best heuristics.

As to the question how long this free version will last, your guess is as good as anyone's.

Computer Associates had a previous other 'free' Antivirus, Inoculate IT Personal Edition which again was advertised as having 'free updates' for the life of the product.

http://cws.internet.com/virus-inoculate.html

This was eventually phased out after a number of years and replaced by a commercial program.

https://www.my-etrust.com/services/ipe_support.cfm?CFID=437107&CFTOKEN=6d2015d4db935cb4

So do not be surprised if the same result happens with Etrust promo version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.