How is AVG AS taming mem usage?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by ratchet, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

My normal process memory usage is around + or - 50% of 1G of RAM. After a complete scan, usage is reduced to almost 30%. I've checked several times now and it stays nice and low until a reboot! A good thing but what the heck, how can this be happening?

2. MikeW2

MikeW2 Registered Member

This queery is appearing in other forums as well
    Some feed back from the Ewidow Team would be helpful and of interest

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

This has been discussed on the forum before (though I can't find the thread now!).

It is a feature of ewido/AVG-AS that doing a memory scan will cause memory usage to drop because it clears out unnecessary usage by other apps.

Apps are sometimes reluctant to relinquish memory they have taken, even though they no longer require it. Thus an AVG-AS memory scan will free-up this spare memory.

4. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

You are so correct! I'd narrowed it down to memory scanning (only one minute and 43 seconds with AVG A-S), so I did a memory only scan with Spy Sweeper and indeed, it had the opposite effect, increasing memory usage about 18%. This is a great feature AVG A-S has going for it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.