How is avast firewall? Considering getting Avast Pro vs IS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nine9s, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

For online bank: I am considering getting Avast Pro vs IS

I have been using Avast 8 for last month or so and enjoy it and want to get Avast Pro or Avast IS mainly to reward Avast for a good product and add peace of mind for banking and online transactions.

Both Pro and IS have SafeZone which protects your browsing from 3rd party programs. Does the firewall in IS add any needed protection in that area or is SafeZOne all I need as far as what Avast offers for online banking?

For example, In MRG Effitas banking tests, would Avast Internet Security add anything over Avast Pro (i.e. does the firewall add anything or was it just the AV and SafeZone that made Avast IS pass)? http://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-conte...anking-and-Endpoint-Security-Report-20121.pdf

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:
    Just be aware that avast IS 213 makes double copy of your network cards and several other functionality. I noticed this when I checked device manager and I saw several copy of my network driver with avast name in it, that was not removed even after uninstalling avast is. Had to manually uninstall or remove them in device manager.

So watch out for copies of your network(s) when you use avast internet security 2013. Make sure you check the device manager for yourself.

3. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Thanks. That seems troublesome, as it probably changing your network applications and as you pointed out, it does not revert them back after uninstalling.

4. TheErzengel

TheErzengel Registered Member

Install Avast 8 and then remove it for settle Emsisoft AM. Avast never had problems with before or since

5. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

I am confused by what you are suggesting to do? Install Avast 8 and remove it?

6. vlk

vlk AV Expert

"Double copy" of your network cards? What do you mean by this, exactly?
    The firewall installs a couple of drivers that are attached to the network adapter (you can even see it in the adapter's properties). But this is all pretty standard stuff. It does not create any new (virtual) adapters.

Vlk

7. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Here's my $.02 worth:

Personally I would go with Avast Pro + a good standalone firewall of your choice. My personal favorite free firewall at the moment is PrivateFirewall; it's integrated HIPS works well IMO and PF is easy enough to set up and configure. I use PF in conjunction with Webroot SecureAnywhere on several systems as well as AVG IS with PF ( AVG's firewall not installed) on some others.

There; I said it...:)

8. taleblou

I had one copy of my network under device manager and 3 news network drivers there all had the word AVAST in their name.
    My pc has one "nvidia 10/100/1000 mbs" network card and there were one with "nvida 10/100/1000 mbs AVAST" and several other ones with various names and avast in them.

At the end I had to uninstall all of them except my original one. The reason I found them was by chance and because auslogic bootspeed check indicated several network issue and named all the 4 avast network drivers.SO I went to device manager and saw them there with yellow exclamation mark since I have avast is uninstalled.

9. taleblou

So people with avast internet security and on win 7 64bit please check to see if you have extra copies or anything odd in network in your device manager and please report here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.