How I lost 40 bucks on eBay...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mack Jones, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mack Jones

Mack Jones Registered Member

Never buy your AV licence on eBay !

I bought both KIS and Norton 360 on eBay earlier this year.
    After some issue on my laptop, I had to format and reinstall the OS...a very commun operation for a Windows user.

I was unable to activate my licences again, the activation limit was exceeded ! I contacted Kaspersky support which informs me the code I bought was given by a famous bank to their customers...
    Idem for Norton, the code was earlier sold to another person who already registered herself on Norton Account database.

Kaspersky's support tells me there are numerous persons who sell illegally licences on eBay. I got mine for 20 USD for 1 year, now I know why it was so low.
    Thankfully, there offered me a brand new code :thumb:

My experience is pretty simple: NEVER BUY YOUR LICENCE ON EBAY, BUT ALWAYS IN BOXED VERSION OR DIRECTLY FROM THE EDITOR ONLINE STORE.

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Ok how the hell did you lose $40 then when 1. They gave you a new code. 2. It cost you $20 at least that's what I read.

3. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

Did Norton offer you a new code as well o_O?

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Even though it is less likely to happen , you can come up an illegal reseller/store who sells fake licenses even though they are in boxes

5. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Were you actually that naive that you thought that you could get a license that normally costs $60+ and get it for 10-20 dollars. Really? Some of them also say that they are authorized re-sellers from hong kong.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , that is not exactly true . Because the price is quite subjective . There are very big distributors who can buy thousands of copies of a product . They receive it from the vendor in a very low price . Then , this distributor can resell this product in a price very low .

Additionally , in different parts of the world , products costs differently . Here NIS 2009/2010 cost just 22.80 Euro . Kaspersky AV 2009/2010 costs 29.90 Euro.

7. Mack Jones

Well, I'm searching to contact the support service but can't find the link...

8. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

To be honest, I was almost that naive as well. I looked on Ebay for discounted licenses as well, though I didn't buy any.
    I looked on Norton's purchase page and saw a price of $39.99 and $4.99 for
    "Extended Download Service." Does this mean if you have to reload Norton AV and haven't purchased the "Extended Download Service", you're out of luck?

9. Mack Jones

I don't think it's a question of being naive or not.
    If they sell OEM licence (if it exists), I presume you can get it for less than 60.

10. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I never get that extended download stuff. You can always get a copy either from the main site or somewhere else and put in your key.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Over a period of 6 years or so I have bought probably 20 licenses off ebay. Only two were not good, and since I used PayPal I got my money back. Some of the licenses are OEM, but they work OK. I once bought a 4 year license for FS that was OEM. It only recently expired.

I have no idea how the vendors get the licenses, but they work, and although I would not buy something I thought was not legal or proper, I will let the companies police their codes and ebay.

I recently sent two codes to Kaspersky and asked if they were bogus. The answer was to refer me to a couple of links as to how to handle licenses. Since they are not very interested so be it.

Avast codes seem to be bogus and caught quickly, but most others who sell Kaspersky, Norton and several more evidently have legal keys which work. I have no idea how they get them, but they do.

If you use PayPal and on the sale page it says that the sale is protected by PayPal then you can get your money back if the license or whatever you buy is not legit.

I am currently using a F-Secure IS license for 3 PCs that I bought a couple of years ago.
    Of course, it is always up to the buyer to beware.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. kjdemuth

Even if you are selling in another country a 2yr 3pc Norton or Kaspersky shouldn't be 12 or 15 dollars. I don't care if your buying thousands of licenses and your doing it in dinars or rubels.

13. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Kaspersky Labs China is selling -

1) Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 - 3 Year License for about USD23 (CNY158 )
    2) Kasperksy Anti-Virus 2010 - 1 Year License for about USD6 (CNY40)

It is possible that someone buy in bulk & sell in Ebay.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      96.7 KB
      Views:
  14. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

hell ye for jackie chan :D

and ontopic, those prices are crazy :D

15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sigh... That actor is getting desperate. :(

16. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

17. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

For sale-1 bridge slightly used.
    Only $100.00 US.

18. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Well I have never bought any security software from eBay before, and after reading this you can rest assure I'll never do it.. ever :D

Thanks for sharing your experience :thumb:

19. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Other good places to look for deals are Amazon and Buy.com. It's probably best to stick with them rather than the various retailers that sale through them or investigate their reputation. The best deals can be found by purchasing last years software versions if the company will let you upgrade for free. For example, I bought a KIS 2009 3 user license for $8.99 at Buy.com. The deal didn't last long but I have the box sitting right here beside me :D.

Many other places offer rebates on products that make the grand total free. But the downside is waiting on the rebate check.

20. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

To date how many people have crossed it, may I ask first? :D

21. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Maybe a dental bridge..............:D

22. kjdemuth

I have bought a license for both from re sellers in the US and I haven't had a problem yet. I knew that I was taking a chance but for 15 dollars it was worth the risk.

23. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Yup, I bought a NIS2010 3-user 2yr from eBay for $23 from a "top rated seller", and it activated on all 3 of my pc's showing 730 days. Only time will tell if it will crap out or not.

24. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

NAV 2010 currently $14.99 (plus shipping) at Amazon.com. For XP and Vista only.

25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Norton will more then likely help you with the key issue if you just ask them. I have had issues in the past with keys on customers computers and normally they were happy to help get it resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.