How I had AntiVir failed.. And KAV saved the day again..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kurdadam, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurdadam

kurdadam Registered Member

This is just to let you know what I did yesterday.

I was testing various AVs in order to find out the general feel for some newbees to computer world. I set-up AntiVir and updated succesfully. I was throwing some viruses from my collection at it and enabling and disabling the realtime protection (the guard) wile I was looking at the options... At some point I realized that when I rightclick on a malware and choose Properties, there was no response from AntiVir which was not usual.. I could not stop myself, I just wanted to risk it and test it.. Yes, I double clicked on the Sober.i worm... Guess what, even though it was apparently enabled, AntiVir was sleeping like an angel and my computer got infected. I should have messed with some of its internal processes when I enabled and disabled AntiVir guard a couple of times. I am very sure that the system was clean until I executed the malware...

After that?? Well, I unloaded AntiVir guard from memory and enabled Kaspersky Monitor.. Of course many alarms and could not delete the files.. I killed the alien processes with "ilProcess Viewer" (a very basic prog for my old Win98 machine, P2 366) while the system was protected by KAV from other infection at that time.. Next thing was a system drive scan by KAV and all gone!!

Even the little unharmful remnants of the worm in the dark corners of system were gone!. Actually I tested those files with other AVs with no detection from most of all... They are some text files and data files, not executables but anyhow, they are still the remainings from malware..

It was another interesting experience for me (yes, not the first one) and I was lucky.. What I learned: AntiVir -as a piece of code- is not as trustable as I normally require an AV to be... I enjoy testing stuff on the risky side..

I just wanted to share with you guys.. Cheers..

2. botzap

botzap Registered Member

Interesting. I use KAV 4.5 Pro and love it. I'm wondering how AVG would hold up under your tests.

3. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

kurdadam,

To clarify, AntiVir failed because you were enabling it and disabling it many times right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.