how hackers break into pc

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by david banner, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask so please move if necessary

Can a hacker break into computer from just knowing the IP address. If so how? And how can it be prevented as ips are sent

2. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

lol... there are infinite ways for a hacker to hack a specific machine. Some hack it after you have shut down your rig (and owner seldom shut down hi/her live connection) and some do it while you're on live-surfin.

Even if you had your firewall on, hackers can 'sniff' out open/unprotected port numbers (there are numerous ports open waiting to be fished, C?). Hence, get a list of these most risk-prone ports (IEEE site has one) and have it listed (plugged some, monitor some) in your FW to be monitored.

I did know of forum-admins who hack on the sideline, while at their post moderating. Some just took peeks, some are mischievous and some are downright brads! And these were done thru IP tracing.

Therefore, your 1st line of defense was to choose a very reliable FW that has customizable level of B/W-port listings; 2nd was to have your logon... password laden in stiff hashes (any pwd 5 characters & below are cheesecakes to them); 3rd, install a rootkit util for on demand checks. If you can afford a router, then it shall be the 1st line of your defense. Install one & have it DHCPied. These are not fool proofed, but at least it helps slowdown their initial entry.

And better yet, siwtch to Linux coz that box includes kaboodle of security tools, bet you!

And so... etc etc etc.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

What ...? Please explain how a dormant comp gets hacked...

The simplest, common way of hacking:

nmap an IP address or range, check for open ports.
    If any are found, try to exploit the service running behind it.

Mrk

4. david banner

ZA? If FW in stealth mode?

5. david banner

How do they get the IP the computer is behind a firewalled NAT router?

6. davidw_426

davidw_426 Registered Member

I'm no hacker, but I would think it pretty difficult to get past a properly configured router unless you're out there pulling off NSA type tricks. Not saying it's impossible, no way, but pretty difficult. Now where these "infinite number of ways" of getting into your system come in, is through browser exploits, malicious downloads, email attachments, stuff like that. Hell of a lot easier just to trick someone into doing the work for them than sit there scanning for ports. Just my opinion.

7. david banner

Can you say what properly configured is and explain how to do this

8. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Lool, no not in my case, I unplug the electric cable, I love to terminate improperly. :D :D :D
    Just be more mad then the craziest hacker.

exactly, that is the biggest problem.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'd also like to know how can one hack a shut down computer. Can you elaborate?

10. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

In real life, if you have a fully patched Windows box with a good on-access anti-malware, and a good software firewall (even Windows firewall will do if you aren't compromised already), these portscan hacks are nearly impossible unless you do something on your end to enable the attack, or there is something phoning home, or some tragic zero-day flaw in XP/Vista (then you could just get a free HIPS like DSA or get Comodo etc.)

11. david banner

How does stealth mode affect port scans?Is there any free port scanner i can get to test my own ports?

12. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

13. david banner

Where on the link? I see password generator and listener feedback. Do you mean on the grc site? What is it called? EDIT understand now it is Shields Up. I wanted one to run from my pc to learn. I am fully stealthed, where does that leave me for being scanned?

14. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

At the bottom of the page where it says "proceed".

snowbound

15. david banner

Got it and in stealth,but what of ports higher than those scanned

16. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You can manually scan them, up to 64 ports.
    Just write their numbers in the field and hit Enter.
    Mrk

17. SystemJunkie

Lool,
    Windows = Backdoor City :D :D :D

18. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I don't think it means actually getting into a computer that's shut down. But, if you're on DSL or whatever, your router and possibly modem is on 24/7 unless you shut them down. That gives a hacker lots of time, if he's a mind, to try and break through them.

I'm not really familiar with all of it. We have a hardware firewall on our router and another on our modem. Then, the wife and I have decent security (without going overboard) on our boxes, and each of our computers has a 14 digit password for the OS. It's a pain, but that's life on the Internet these days.

19. SystemJunkie

Why you need 14 digit password? If you logged in your system can be compromised no matter if there is a pass protection for OS or not.

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I remember for fun when it was something of public practical jokes that you could boot users off yahoo with all sorts of weird contraptions some scriptos were able to fashion and they gave them out like candy. I lurked the Yahoo Booters Room out of curiosity and was surprised how easy it was to not only hack but they actually had programs that locked you out of your Yahoo account for 24-48 hours. For that matter, you could also spam an entire room into a frenzy. An interesting learning experience for some like myself but not really practical given the wasted hours of just playing tag like that.

Why on earth Yahoo allowed all this to go unchecked on their servers was beyond me. You could easily shut down a users chat client as well at will just with their Yahoo Handle.

Those were more comical sessions then anything.

By contrast, hacking into actual computer systems sitting in offices & homes is a more grave matter of course and is unlawful in addition in some states.

21. Chuck57

Good question. I don't know why, especially after doing some snooping and discovering that anybody can get into your computer if they've a mind and it takes a minute to disable the password. Plus, as you said, when you're online it means nothing.

Besides the above, anything that might be remotely considered sensitive on this computer is encrypted, and Safe Space and Threatfire take care of the rest.

22. Shunted

Shunted Registered Member

14 chars, that's impressive password policy. But if only trusted persons have access to your computer you can probably save the pain. Windows accounts without password are supposedly disabled for remote access.

23. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    It's interesting to see the level of fatalistic paranoia that comes up in this thread. People seem to have watched too many movies about hacking.
    Mrk

24. Chuck57

I plead guilty, LOL. On the other hand, I also plead ignorance regarding much in the area of computer security. Obviously, having a ridiculously long password gives me away. I do, though, think my computer is fairly well protected in regards internet use - but even that could be open for debate.

25. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

NO, THEY CANNOT.

THE END. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.