How Google stops you hiding your location

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It's the same. Disconnecting the modem won't do any good. My ISP would have to manually change my IP and they just don't do that.

Do they NOT know my street or block ?
    As I stated, they know my city plus zip code.

I don't know why you think it's opt-in. If I check the google search query (not toolbar, browser IE 7) and try to fiddle with that it explicitly states that I cannot opt-out.

I'll try those VPN/TOR like things when I can make the time.

2. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

I recently tested "hideipvpn.com" (they give a 1 hour trial) , I think that it worked quite well. I don't know which provider gives best bandwith, responsetime and so on versus what you will have to pay. I have however seen some "hair-rising" prices, "hideipvpn.com" have accounts from $ 5.99 per month, from what I've seen up until now it doesn't seem expensive (but I do not have a lot of experience with VPN accounts). You should however notice one thing : even though two account types carry the same price tag then there sometimes seems to be different features. It would be impossible for me to advice you on which account to choose (for a great number of reasons).

P.S.
    Just found link to these two sites :
    Hide IP Tools - User Reviews
    Personal VPN Service Reviews & Rating 2010

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  3. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

I think that you are right that TOR is an alternative. But TOR is , in my experience not very fast. Also I do not know enough about how the stuff works and the level of privacy and security one got with respect to the go-between host machine one is using so I am not very comfortable using TOR with private stuff or when I have to use passwords or pay for something.
    Also even though I would like to support the TOR network then it is difficult for me both to understand what possible security problems one might open up to on ones own machine if acting as a TOR host/go-between and also I am not very comfortable with fiddleing too much with router or firewall port settings as again I can not foresee any possible security problems it might cause with respect to both second and third party outsiders (comming from the internet).....
    Don't get me wrong, I am actually very experienced with PCs and all sort of stuff, like a "Jack of all trades but master of none", and I have extreme experience in some areas plus I have setup private secure encrypted VPN tunnels (Router to router)(including printing to printers at another physical place and remote controlling another PC through the VPN tunnel) . I am however knowing enough to know that my knowledge of PC/"internet-tech" security is not sufficient, but then again I am not so sure that there will ever be someting as "total security and privacy" with respect to a PC unless you of course pull the net plug and never puts it in again (and do not use outside/ or questionable software)!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.