How good is Trojan Remover ?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Perman, Dec 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I am still using AVG AS (formerly Ewido), and I still believe it provides sufficient coverage towards trojans. But I am contemplating to aquire a back up antitrojan app. I am testing Trojan Remover, the scan is swift. Database update is frequent, how about its rate of detection and general performance ? Lack of real time shield does not stop me from using it, if it is very good. Any advice? Thanks.

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I have used this program on and off for about four years. I run it about once a week. It takes over an hour to scan my entire computer with 'scanning inside archives' checked. I've had a couple problems and can tell you that support has always been excellent.
    In terms of detection rates, the only results I have seen published have not been good as presented in the Anti-Trojan Comparative of March 2006. On the other hand, MajorGeeks.com rates this program highly. I like this program since it has many keyloggers in its detection database as well as other malware. I will continue to use it as part of my layered defense.

3. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I went through similar experiences ,Thankful, as i began to use TR some months before Boclean,about the same period you did-four years ago or something more-and i kept it to make a scan for trojans once in a while.
    When the kernel applications era began i did not start TR at boot,but only left Boclean watching the booting.

It is -probably- usefull in the event your other applications ,either AV,HIPS or antitrojan are unable to remove the malware , being particularly apt at removing (rather than catching) the little beasts.

I never had a chance during all these years to try it out on the battle field as in the two-three occasions i catched something it was AV or Boclean.
    I think it can be used to good profit if you keep it for scanning once in a while or for removing.

I think you only have (kernel)/startup space these days for one AV,one antitrojan and one HIPS at the most, otherwise there would be too many ,resulting in clashes and malware slipping through.

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Perman

Taking into consideration the fact that you already are running 'DeepFreeze', i see no need for you to keep adding to your security. You already have more than enough protection. I've decided to build my setup around 'Bufferzone Home' and have ditched most of my security programs including 'HIPS' and now only have an AV running with Bufferzone. Have AVG AS and Superantispyware installed for on-demand scanning of downloads.That's it.

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Perman

If you really want to waste money on something already covered for free by your other app's then please buy this one also............it is a waste of CPU and money though, but the choice is yours of course. :)

6. Togg

Togg Registered Member

The honest answer is 'I don't know'. I've had TR for a couple of years now and have never had to test its capabilities in tackling a real trojan (perhaps because I'm using NOD32, ZA Pro and don't use IE!).

It's a one-off purchase price (cheap at UK prices), no annual subs and helps to soothe my paranoia for a relatively low cost.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: hi, tobacco and Don: thanks for the frank advice. Yes, I already have DF and other FW,AV,AS, this app is a surplus. Thanks.:)

8. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

I too have used TR for years and it never found a Trojan...........probably because I never had one.

Because of that, I don't know if it is good or bad. The reason I bought it was the fact that my license covered all 3 of my computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.