How good is the firewall?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Norton360, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norton360

Norton360 Registered Member

Hello, I've seen in Comodo's website a test they have to check if your firewall can block some attacks: http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/onlinetest.html

I've tried the test with the deafult settings of ESET firewall and it has failed all the three tests. I get this message:

Your firewall didn't pass the test and transmitted information to our website.
    This time it was useless information - next time it could be your credit card number or other sensitive data being passed to a hacker.

Comodo Firewall Pro is the only firewall to pass all three Comodo Parent Injection Leak Tests with its default settings.

So, right now I am afraid. Can I protect me from this attacks with ESET?

Since I am trying the trial version of ESET, I'm not sure if I should use only the anitivurs and leave the firewall to other application.

Hope you can help me, because I am very worried.

Thanks.

2. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

ess firewall does just that...
    its a firewall, if your browsing habits are bad, and you are easily fooled by spoof websites, then you will probably benefit from an ANTILEAK/HIPS/Firewall such as Comodo/OA/Outpost.

myself i like the simplicity of ess firewall, basic application control & my own common sense when browsing

3. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I agree I like the straight forwardness of the firewall. You have the rules based or the automatic version. I use the automatic but i've tried the rules based & it prompts you accordingly...

4. Norton360

Norton360 Registered Member

Ok my friends, many thanks. Then I'll choose using comon sense :)

5. pbw3

pbw3 Registered Member

That's interesting. I have installed NOD AV v3 and am using it simply with VISTA firewall (and Super Ad blocker). The firewall did not ask me to stop any of the three tests, and I was not then re-directed at all as I should have been had the security failed.

I am using a mobile broadband connection (T mobile - web'n walk). Does that add a layer of security at all to outbound traffic, as I presumed the VISTA firewall was good for inbound rather than outbound?

Regards
    Peter

6. lych

lych Registered Member

Actually, Vista's firewall does have outbound protection (accessible through gpedit.msc). The funny thing about firewalls is that they were originally designed for inbound protection only. Some of the best corporate hardware firewalls don't even offer outbound protection. I prefer to rely on ess, opera, and common sense when browsing the web.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.