How good is Ewido Security Suite?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by c0ltran3, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

I've been using Ewido Security Suite for about six months and I'm quite unsatisfied. This program revealed no trojans; on the contrary my antiviruses (especially BitDefender and NAV) revealed some.
    What's your experiences about Ewido?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Well, of the ones detected by your A/V's , perhaps what was detected weren't actually Trojans as defined by EWIDO. (A/V's are notorious for naming things "trojans" that aren't, actually).

On the other hand, since ESS is a work-in-progress, perhaps whatever your A/V's found simply hasn't been added to the DB yet.

Did you take the time to submit them to Peter at EWIDO? I've found him to be courteous and timely in his answers to questions and quite prompt to add things that need added, when he gets them. Pete

3. rodsoto

rodsoto Registered Member

I use ESS as a backup to TDS-3, Im not dissatisfied with ESS, its a fairly new program, and has great potential. Im just annoyed that I can't scan my archives, my trojan library are all compressed, So i can't test ESS's functionality in that regard. What were the trojans that your AV's picked up on? Were they the standard RATs or other?

4. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

So far I have not had any recent problems with it, and it is all I use for trojan related cleaning that KAV doesn't do. I have only had one false positive, which doesn't matter to me because I always send the file off to make sure before deleting it anyway.

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

it doesn't find as much as TDS or KAV but I do send as many to ewido as I remember to to include in their databases
    the problem is that it doesn't detect in compressed (zipped) files which is how I get most of mine as samples

until they include that functionality, it is a handy back up scanner but I wouldn't rely on it for first line defense

it has good potential though

6. mhh ok maybe the scanner cannot detect all kind of malware, but there is no scanner, which can detect all kind of malware crap, but some pc magazines think it is important to detect all kind of crap, like exploits, patches *cough* at DCS, hackertools,linux tools *cough'* at A. Marx..etc..but who wrote or said the program ess, which is btw a nice one, because i´m not able to patch a trojan for it (ok this is not really a normal criterion for testing av software, but for me this is an important point), has not good test results?
    whatever, i hope the pro version or whatever they named this comercial version of ewido suite rocks, cause at the moment there are a lot of scanners, but their signatures are soo weak.
    just me two cents.

7. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I don't know if this counts as a real Trojan,but i got infected by Byteverify Java Trojan/Exploit and neither Ewido nor a2 detected anything in the infected folder.KAV and AntiVir did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.