How far do you go

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by De Hollander, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

with your current AV. What wood be the moment for you to decide “goodbye old friend its time to leave” I am not talking about test results, detection rates, etc ..

2. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi De Hollander,
    When Tech/ Support stopped replying to my e-mails.At the moment Drweb :thumb: reply to my e-mails within 30 mins.
    Badcompany.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Same here!

• If the program creates me problems with OS or with another essential application
    • If Tech/ Support stops replying to my e-mails
    • Never because of tests

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

If an av fails to update or has trouble connecting for updates for a number of days.
    In the rare(for me)event that the av has stability problems.

5. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I tried many antivirus programs and say goodbye fast because most were heavy on my system, not even the best detection would make me use it.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

if it F's up my machine........ goodbye

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

1. When it drastically slows down my computer

2. When it screws up my computer

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Believe it or not, so many constant issues with AV's as well as the impossible task to catch new malaicious creations is what drove the development of HIPS, and since then i have dropped AV's completely out the picture on all my units. They are really obsolete UNLESS they also incorporate HIPS integrated within them something like KIS6 ProActive Defense which i found amazingly lightweight and totally stable. Still, HIPS has closed the door shut on malware/virus intrusions entirely since HIPS sensors pick them up so easy.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

When it causes problems on my system, and the fix is more difficult than I desire to bother with. I do not want to have to "send that to tech support" very many times.

I would say that if I cannot correct the problem in a day or so, the AV goes. I realize that different systems and other software make a big difference. But my system is what I have, and I am unwilling to remove everything and start over because of conflicts.

My thinking is "Why should I work very hard to get a particular AV to work when there are other good ones that work without problems?" That is why I am using the ones I have, and not some others. They just run well.

Best,
    Jerry

10. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Besides the technical problems a program can give, how about the quality of costumer service. For me that’s something I also take in account. Wood that be a reason stop using that program. For me it is.

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'd hope you'd take the time to try and find out why there is a conflict with the AV and the OS/other application on your machine before ditching it outright.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would never consider switching.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Actually Yes , it mean that I would ditch the program only if it creates me problems and only after I have tried everything and after the tech support have tried everything .
    This is how I do it . I kept my previous Panda Titanium 06 and TruPrevent 06 for three weeks , they made me only problems with Windowns Activation and without being able to turn off Windows , so long I tried so many things and after their support gave up by hiding from me and my requests , I threw it away . By the way , this is my second:

;)

14. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Lol ;)

15. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Same here aswell..well said WSFuser! :thumb:

16. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I decided a few weeks ago to not have a realtime AV. It's experimental and I still have several licences for AV apps. in case I change my mind ;)
    That said I am still doing manual scans with MWAV every now and then.

Gerard

17. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I stopped using a resident AV not quite 2 years ago. The factor that made that decision was the release of a new version of the AV I used, AntiVir 6. Version 7 was much heavier and slowed down my system. It was also quite buggy at the time. Too many running processes, too many autostarts, no real gain in security or performance in exchange. Features I considered important were removed. Version 6 could be started manually. Verion 7 started at bootup whether you wanted it or not. I couldn't make it ignore certain files or tools I use. With version 6, the scheduler was an option. With version 7, you had no choice.

Looking back at it now, I'm glad they made those changes. By forcing me to find an alternative, I've ended up with a faster and more secure system. There's better ways to secure a PC than trying to identify and block hundreds of thousands of malicious and undesirable files.
    Rick

18. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Main reason: High resource usage,especially CPU wise.

Like Herbalist,i now tend to rely more on HIPS rather than Antivirus programs.

19. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

For me, the main reason I would say goodbye to a AV program is because I cannot update it anymore (whether it is due to end of support or other issues). So unfortunately, MS decides whether I continue to use a program. :thumbd: :mad: Otherwise, I guess I have to switch OS.

20. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

When I test myself that trojans are not being detected.

21. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Couple of months ago I change AV program (too) often. Mostly reason was some new testing setup. Nowadays I don't use any AV program.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's time for a change whenever it begins to affect my machine's performance in a negative way.. that or update problems.

23. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

Gerard, what are you using now?

Thanks.

24. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Registered Member

If my computer was drastically slown down I would definitely switch.

25. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

If this ever happens, I'll let you know.
    Signed, happy Avast! user.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.