How does TI do it?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DavidTyson, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidTyson

DavidTyson Registered Member

Just wondering, how does True Image do a backup of a drive WHILE running XP from that drive successfully?

Is it safe to do it this way? It kind of puzzles me.

I was previously using the Ghost boot disk for backups, but it decided to start hanging when I booted from it, so I took a workmates advice and started using True Image.

True Image doesnt detect the SATA RAID card I use, when booting from CD like Ghost did, so I have to do backups from in Windows.

My workmate has had no problems doing backups with TI from in windows and hes been using it for years.

I just cant understand how it can copy files which are in use by the operating system, and the OS doesnt block it from trying it at all...

Is it worth going through all the effort and making a BART disk and adding my drivers? Are there cases of problems happening from doing backups while in XP?

:blink:

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There are some threads around with information from Acronis on how it does imaging while Windows is running. Most of us use it all the time and have no problems but there are some who feel it is safer to do it with the boot CD on a static HD. I won't argue it is safer but I haven't had any problems.

Although creating an image from within Windows solves the problems of being unable to create an image with the boot CD this is going to get you into trouble but not from creating the image. The problem will be when you restore the image. Even though you start the process and enter the data in Windows, if you are restoring the active partition, typically C, it cannot be restored with Windows running since the first thing that happens is the deletion of the Windows partition. To get around this, TI boots into the Linux recovery environment which is the same as is on the boot CD. So if you can't see your devices from the boot CD you aren't going to see them when Windows boots into the recovery environment.

A BartPE CD is one way around this. The other is to log an official support call with Acronis and let them try to resolve the problem or provide you with a special .iso image to create a CD with the appropriate fix.

There is a sticky post at the top of the forum entitled Read before you Post. See the section in there about problems, section II, I believe.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you are concerned about whether a boot CD is going to do a restore, there is a simpler method than going through the hoops of creating a BartPE disk -- jsut do a test restore and see if it works. Ultimately, a test restore should be considered a critical early step to ensure that your backup protocol is valid, i.e., that how you plan to secure your system really works. Once you've done a successful test restore, you know it will work.

BartPE is an excellent alternative for folks that can't adequate hardware support from the linux environment of the regular ATI restore program. But it's not a simple thing to set up and BartPE doesn't work for everyone either. For example, it won't work on some of my machines even though I tried several versions. After a while it got to be too much trouble. I wouldn't think of it as a first, or second recourse. I'd think of it as a last recourse.

4. seekforever

My personal opinion is the same as yours. It is an alternative - I much prefer having the TI rescue environment work. The vast majority, 99+%, of my restores are done as a result of restoring C after testing software or setting up a special environment that I don't want to keep. Being able to restore by starting in Windows without the need to install a physical CD is something I wouldn't like being without.

5. DavidTyson

Hi Guys, cheers for the replies.

I tried making a BartPE cd last night but gave up, I kept getting an error saying Trueimage.exe is not present when I ran the help.cmd.

I will be able to boot off the cd and restore, it just means I have to connect my SATA cable to my motherboard, not my controller. Which is fine in that event.

I run it off my controller because that makes it hot swap, my drive is in an enclosure which can be turned on and off by a button, which is perfect for backups. It means crap doesnt find its way into the drive as easily.

6. seekforever

What make of controller board do you have? I was thinking of getting one.

If you raise an official support request with TI and give them the info they may be able to provide you with a special CD image and better still ultimately incorporate it into future builds.

7. DavidTyson

The controller is an Addonics AD2SA3GPX1 2 port internal SATA controller. They use Silicon Image Chipsets on their stuff.

How do I go about sending the Acronis team a suggestion??

8. seekforever

9. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.