How Does This Work?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by caspian, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Let me see if I understand this correctly. I can use this product to create an image of my computer in it's present state. It will create an exact image. So if at some later date I think that I may have a keylogger or something on my computer, I can restore my entire computer to the exact condition that it was in when I created the image. Everything will be exactly the same as it was. And then at this point I can do Windows updates or reinstall any software that had been added since the image was created etc... Is this correct?

2. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

FDISR magically takes your OS and makes a file out of it that FDISR can read at bootup. You can have up to 10 OS files (called snapshots). Each file or snapshot is the size of your OS unless you use the compression option which uses MS own file compression. The genius and capability of this program is you can also use different Operating Systems by saving them to a "blank" snapshot as outlined in the manual and in several posts here. If you become infected or somehow unable to use your computer because of OS corruption, you can choose which snapshot (OS file) to boot with from a preboot menu that appears prior to booting to Windows. You can also make "archives" without limit (discounting hard drive space) that can be used like images (beyond the 10 snapshot limit) on the OS drive or drives other than the OS drive (internal and external drives). You can even "freeze" a snapshot to be able to always boot to this frozen snapshot removing all changes made to the OS drive on reboot.

Many discussions try to deal with substitutions for FDISR. There are no real substitutes to date. A great piece of software engineering that will go down in the annuals as a one of a kind miracle for Windows users.

SourMilk out

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes this is one of the many ways to use FD-ISR.:)

Panagiotis

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Unfortunately, the later versions are much more limited, you can no longer have 10 bootable Snapshots and unlimited Archives. Currently, you can only have one other Snapshot and no Archives.

Acadia

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Archives on external media be it dvd or disks is what good old FDISR make unique,IMO selling FDISR without archives is betraying the original intention of the developer,and in more then one way its not FDISR anymore.
    I'm lucky to have the original FDISR on all my desks.

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

But if I can have at least one, then I can create an archive to use every so often to make sure that my computer is clean. I am thinking about reinstalling my OS, doing all of the updates and installing the software that I use, and then creating an archive. That way I know it is completely clean and so the archive will be too. Will this work on a Vista 64 bit?

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

caspian, do you have an older version that can create Archives? The later versions can NOT create even one single Archive. There is a difference between a Snapshot and an Archive. The newer versions, I believe, have just two Snapshots, the one you are using and the backup, I believe that is it, someone correct me if I am wrong about this, I have never actually used any of the later versions.

But I am pretty sure about this, again someone correct me if needed: only the older versions could create Archives.

Acadia

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

AFAIK in rescue version there are no external archives.
    In many cases its just what you need.
    Boot to the other snapshot and copy/update the messed up one,then boot back.
    But what if disk itself go south ? o_O

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Acadia you are correct. Just one extra snapshot including the base one, and no archives.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yes it works on 64 bit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.