How does the firewall and AV work together?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by losimagic, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. losimagic

losimagic Registered Member

Today (overnight) Nod32 found 2 suspected trojans amongst some java files

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\29\61a815d-56e1199e » ZIP » vmain.class - probably a variant of Java/Agent.BR trojan - was a part of the deleted object

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\52\640f9e74-3e5d8961 » ZIP » vmain.class - a variant of Java/Agent.BR trojan - was a part of the deleted object

Firstly, I thought Nod32 offered realtime protection, how did they get there?

Secondly, if these are genuinely trojans and not false positives, would the firewall have been triggered if these trojans had tried to phone home with keystroke data (or whatever their purpose was) and blocked them?

Many thanks

2. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

What firewall do you use

Hogndog

3. losimagic

Hi, thanks for a quick reply.

I use the firewall that's built into Eset Smart Security 4, on interactive mode.

When I got to my system this morning Nod32 was asking me what it should do with them, delete them, or do nothing. I chose to delete them, which I believe places them in quarantine.

4. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I've tried firewalls built into a suite, spells trouble, for me that is, for now it looks like your O.k. To recommend a firewall at this time is premature, hope this helps

5. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Does that mean that the ESET Firewall is uselsss? Someone please confirm this as I am using ESS too with a 2 year license just purchased :blink:

6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

No it isn't useless. It's a decent two-way firewall. It doesn't have HIPS in v4.2 but HIPS will be added as a separate additional component in v5, which is currently available as a beta download.

7. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

oh ok, thanks for the info bro

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You're welcome. :)

9. losimagic

Going back to my original question, if nod32 allowed the (possible) trojan onto my system, how well would the firewall do at blocking any communications that it tried to make?

10. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Assuming the Firewall is running in Interactive mode, it would depend on what methods the trojan used to try and connect out. If it used the kind of sneaky tricks that leak tests are designed to simulate, it would probably be successful. This is why the ESS firewall performs so poorly in the Matousec tests. This will change in Version 5, which has HIPS (providing the HIPS is also enabled in Interactive mode).

11. losimagic

Thanks for the info. Is it worth upgrading to the beta now, or is it still a little early to be fully trusting it?

12. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I'm running the beta and it's remarkably stable for a beta. I've encountered one or two minor bugs but nothing serious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.