How does SpyBlaster v3.2 protect

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by flutie1668, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flutie1668

flutie1668 Registered Member

Hi

I just installed SpywareBlaster v3.2 and enable all the protection items. However, when I use IE 6.0 SP1 and try to access one of the protection site ("zedo.com") in the Restricted Sites-> Customize the Block List. I was able to connection to zedo.com site. I though SpywareBlaster would block that site?? Is there anything I should check for to see it install/enable correctly??

Please Advise!!

2. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

try a fresh reinstall and then click it open, and either way, click on enable all protection or go to top click on ie checkmark the selections at top then enable protection at bottom then go to restricted icon at top do same thing as ie , click the selections at top enable protection at bottom. faster to enable protection at bottom on opening page. then run updates. and enable protection for any not enabled after d/ld. if this dont work then maybe someone else might have another idea.

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Why did you try to visit zedo.com? Do you know that zedo is a spyware advertiser?
    DO NOT ever go to any website that you see in spywareblaster's restricted sites list. Do you want to get hit by spyware?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Any site that is in the Restricted Zone of IE....no matter what program placed it there....will be restricted in what HTML code it can execute. This does not mean it is placed there to prevent you from reaching that site.

Note:
    not all sites listed in Spywareblasters database are related to spyware....some are listed there becasue of their adware offerings.

5. scott lang

hes askin for trouble.

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Oh yeah.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@flutie1668 - indeed products like spyware blaster only place the sites under the restricted zone. if u want to block access to the sites, use the HOSTS file

8. scott lang

best way to do it is have spywareblaster installed and uptodate and go to microsoft and get the mewest HOSTS file. once you have it navigate to your sys32/drivers/etc folder right click on the hosts file at the bottom unselect the readonly. should now have nothing checked. then drag the new copy of HOSTS to that folder it will ask if you want to replace. say yes. after its in then right click the HOSTS file again and recheck readonly. now, go to your internet options screen. select security. then click on restricted sites. near bottom right side click set defaults. and you should be good to go.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

why would u go to microsoft to get a new HOSTS file? im not sure about the spyware...but for ads and a few other things, u could use Supertrick XG to update ur HOSTS file

10. scott lang

i found it on another site that linked me to it ill go get it.

ok i got the link, if it wont work let me know and ill just paste it. it has the host.zip listed. and it was updated this month. and yes it may say a different it does work on all windows os's. its on mine and i have xp home. this updates the list of restricted sites that will show up in the ie restricted zone.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

this link is not the exact same one as the one he gave me i the post, but i cant remember which one it was. anyway this will take you to a page that has the hosts.zip listed, click it and it will download. if you want to know how to install it let me know and ill tell you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.