how do you view the contents of a cd with vista?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i've got one program i want to use that linux doesn't have. i tried running it a few hours ago but it wouldn't run, i then tried to update firefox and that didn't work, then i thought i should do a WU - that didn't work either - not through IE or the control panel. so, i did what i could in linux then put a file on a cd to transfer to vista, and now vista won't open the cd - all it will do is erase the contents without viewing it.

so how do you view a cd in vista? vista is dring me crazy, i get hysterical every time i use it :mad:

2. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

my wife laptop has vista home installed and afaik, as in winxp, just insert disk, cancel autorun and explore it the same was as in any previous windows version.

if your vista install cant mount cds correctly, there may be an issue with ide controllers, or the media is not compatible with the optical..same happened to me with my LG dvdrw not reading phillips disks, had the flash it to latest version

oldmx

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Check in services the "Shell Hardware Detection" service is set to auto and started.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help. i'll boot in to vista in a bit and see if i can fix it.

i'm not like a lot of people who don't like anything to do with MS, i liked xp and if i could get vista to work i'd probably like it too even though it's installed on my laptop and i really don't like laptops!, linux would still be my main OS though. i just don't understand why absolutely nothing works, i hate it!

6. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

iceni60 I "test drove" Vista a few months back and I was really concerned about how MSN seemed to take the "good features" from the older OS's and "axe them". I Even had trouble creating "shortcuts". There was no right click function for doing this. I will wait before I install it. By that time there should be many good people on this forum that will help us "old timers" stumble our way through Vista. If you do get this problem resolved please let us know how. That was also one of the stumbling blocks I ran into, while test driving VISTA.

When I say oldtimers I mean me.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just booted in to vista and everything worked this time. yesterday was the first time i'd booted-up after the last vista updates and it said something about the updates being installed OK when it first started. so maybe it needed another reboot before everything worked again??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.