How Do you Use...

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by hoho, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoho

hoho Registered Member

SpywareGuard? Like I been trying to see what happends if it encounters spyware but how do you use it? Like do you just have spywareGuard on? and when you click on the icon of the thing you want to install or is their something I have to hit. Like I tryed a couple things what I knew had at least 1 spyware in it and nothing came up when I clicked to install them. So what am I doing wrong?

2. hoho

hoho Registered Member

bump

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmm well I've not used it myself, but judging from here

http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html

I would say it needs to be running resident (unlike spywareblaster) to work.

Hopefully, someone who's used spywareguard will let us know what the alerts should look like.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, Detox is correct. SpywareGuard needs to be running resident (like an Anti-Virus scanner) in order to work. While running it should show an icon in the systray near the clock that looks like this: SG If you right-click on it you'll get the SpywareGuard management screen. Make sure you've enabled all three options (Real-Time Scanning, Download Protection and Browser Hijack Protection).

If it is running properly, it will scan executable files (program installers) before they run looking for known spyware (and generic spyware signatures), it'll scan downloads for similar signatures and it will alert you to any attempts to change your IE home page.

Now, I don't know what files you tested with, so I can't say why or whether SpywareGuard should have alerted you on it. But, a quick test you can do to make sure SpywareGuard is active and able to alert you, is to change your IE Home Page using it's Tools menu > Internet Options... > in General tab > change your home page from whatever it is to something new and hit OK. (In this image I just use the IE option "Use Default" to trigger a change...)

[​IMG]

If you get a similar alert, then SpywareGuard is running.

5. hoho

hoho Registered Member

I tryed that with changing my internet starting page and that worked. But I tryed Imesh what was suppost to have lots of spyware on it and nothing happened. Maybe I dled the wrong imesh thing but if you do know something what has spyware on it for sure just put a link up I just want to see for myself.

6. hoho

hoho Registered Member

bump

7. hoho

hoho Registered Member

bump

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm I'm not sure you'll get anyone to send you a link to spyware here ;-)

If I were on this particular quest, I think I would google for things like "avenue A" or "double click" and piddle around their sites. Surely you could find something that way.

9. hoho

hoho Registered Member

Well they could send me a link privately or do what you just did and give me names.

10. hoho

hoho Registered Member

or names of programs what are knowen to have lots of spyware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.