How do you use JKDefrag?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Iangh, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

JKDefrag users which optimisation methods do you use/schedule?

Why?

Ian

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

For my system partition I usually use the default with a few more directories on -u flag...

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I only use the default. :) Unless a user has fairly specific needs, I struggle to see why anyone would consistently use anything else. (I'm talking about the -a options here.)

FWIW, I miss the option to Fully Optimize the disk/partition. Mr. Kessels has said he didn't think it really helped/worked and has removed it from recent versions (it was the -a 4 option.) IMO, I feel this was a mistake and he should put it back. I still have a copy of 3.8 (which has the -a 4 option) and plan to hang on to it!

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have 2 HDs (C & D). For each monthly defrag I use JK's command line 4 times as follows...

JkDefragCmd -a 3 c:
    JkDefragCmd -a 9 c:
    JkDefragCmd -a 3 d:
    JkDefragCmd -a 9 d:

Where...
    c= C drive
    d= D drive

3= Analyze, fixup, and fast optimization (default).
    9= Analyze and sort files by last access (newest first). Concerning my selection of this optimization strategy, please see THIS thread on JK's forum. Namely, "9" optimizes based on levels of file usage.

Why I use a 3 defrag BEFORE doing a 9 defrag --- In my OPINION, the 9 defrag goes a bit faster if it is done after a 3 defrag. Your mileage may vary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.