How do you test an AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by L815, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L815

L815 Guest

I know many people test their AV's themselves rather than trialing them out for a long time waiting for something to happen.

The only place I've known is eicar and maybe a few others from the past I can't remember. I'd like to start testing my av enough to realize if it's effective or not. With eicar, it seems that majority if not all avs can detect it by default, so the test doesn't seem too helpful.

So what methods, tools, sites do you guys use do to determine a successful test/trial of an AV product?

2. dNor

dNor Registered Member

I leave the testing to people/websites/magazines that have much more insight and capability than I do. When trialing an AV or suite I consider its performance, usability, support, design, and how well it settles with my system (conflicts, etc). EICAR is all I use just to ensure I haven't set something incorrectly.

Only having around two virus threats in the past decade on my personal machines allows me to focus on choosing what I prefer over whatever detection rate I could conjure up, or even a malware tester could conjure up. Even when installing security software for the computer illiterate, the reasons above tend to outweigh detection rates.

For me, detection rates only play a pivotal role in my company's network where it's very important. The methods we use when deciding in that situation also include taking in to account the mentioned points while using a testbed machine with trial software and running the shady site of the internet. How the software handles that is taken into consideration.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

if you like use a virtual machine, infect yourself and see if all is removed.

basically you will know yourself if its good enough, you will get the feeling of being secure, you will see no program crashes and EVERYTHING will run smoothly.

if thats not the case, its time for a change.

only the person using it knows if its keeping them secure, do you notice any system problems lately, could be your AV itself or an infection.

then you should look into support/system performance/price etc for your final examination, and hopefully after all that, you should have a final choice.

purchase and enjoy :)

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I leave to the experts as far as detection testing goes. Read through these forums and you will see who is respected and find all sorts of comments about differences in methodology.

As for compatibility, and how it fits in with the way you like to do things you really have to trial them.

5. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

What virtual machine? :D

I usually go here http://www.virus.gr and read up on the latest tests..

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

You really won't be doing yourself any favors by running tests yourself. All you will be doing is testing to see if the software is working. It will tell you nothing about its quality (unless you're a malware writer you can't test the AV with zero-day baddies).

7. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I like to test on the several Firewall leaktests. besides that i test on speed and offcourse detection. there are several malware websites were you can test you av

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.