How do you stop a scheduled weekly scan ?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by NoCelery, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoCelery

NoCelery Registered Member

How do you stop a scheduled weekly scan ?

I have recently migrated form v2.7 to v4 and am using Remote Administrator v3. Everything is OK except for one annoyance, users are unable to stop or pause the weekly scan. With version 2.7 this was possible.

Screenshot (the 'threats' are just the eicar test virus):

scan.jpg

I have searched the internet and these forums but have not found anything relevant. Any suggestions ?

P.S. Please don't lecture me about the policy of allowing users to stop weekly scans.

2. NoCelery

3. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

I can't remember how i did it because i did it a while back but look under

Tools, Scheduler

I think i normally delete the entry there...

4. stackz

stackz Registered Member

I'm sure NoCelery is asking how to stop a scheduled scan once it has started, not how to remove it from the list of scheduled tasks. :)

Personally I don't run scheduled scans and so have never noticed this anomaly.

5. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Normally it should display a entry called 'Display scan on foreground'. I just tested this on my own machine with a test schedule and I do get that on my scheduled scan. I cant test this on scheduled scans which are pushed from ERA atm.

6. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Ah well yes... If you want to be picky, i suppose.... ;)

Missed the detail in the question... :mad:

To attempt to answer the question (again) can't the user just right click the NOD Notification icon and cancel it from there?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  7. NoCelery

The option you mention "Display scan on foreground" . . I don't think it exists. If it does, I can not see it.

"just right click the NOD Notification icon and cancel it from there" . . .if only it were that simple :)

AS you can see in my screenshot, a user can clearly see the scan is running, but unlike an on-demand scan, there is no "STOP" option.

To me, this looks like a bug in the software (one that has been introduced after version 2.7). The real world impact of this is that I have users that come in on weekends to use their computers and they do disk intensive things like video editing, so having an unstoppable scan running is a royal pain in the ass. Until I can work this out, I have to disable weekly scans or revert to version 2.7 which neither of which is ideal.

8. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

9. NoCelery

I get this too, but not for scheduled tasks pushed out by Remote Administrator . . . as I said before, once the scan starts it is unstoppable . . . very annoying

10. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I had a problem trying to stop the automatic start up scan feature in NODv4 because with computers that only got started up once a week or less it would run every time after the system booted and updated the signatures. It cause an extreme slowdown on that older WinXP SP3 based system. I didn't even bother to see if it could be manually stopped...I always assumed that was an advanced option in v4. My main concern was stopping the automatic startup scan. I am still using v2.7 on many machines so it took a while for me to figure it out but I finally figured out how to access the "scheduler" in v4 on that one machine so I could make changes. The scheduler is hidden in the advanced tree and their is a check mark option to "show the scheduler" then you should be able to access it on the main menu where you can make changes to it. You can later re-hide it from the users after making those scheduled scan changes if you want. You could un-check any weekly scheduled scan and create a new one with your own rules.

When you create a new schedule you can change it to scan less often...for example once a month (input the time in minutes...it comes to ALLOT of minutes...I figured 30 days to be 43200 minutes..and I titled that schedule as the "monthly scan"...then I unchecked the automatic startup scan that was causing the problem...so now I only have the potential of a scan slowdown problem on that machine when I boot it once a month) and there are scan options you can set for example ....to only start the scan when the system is idle. The scan could still start that one time a month and cause slowdown problems for the users...so you might want to not have any scheduled scans. I am not recommending this from a security perspective but from a functionality perspective for those machines. I don't know how the network administration for v4 works but maybe you could only push manual scans to those particular systems when you want to when they don't have users on them...from your system running NOD v4 with the administrative version.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  11. NoCelery

Thanks for the response SoCalReviews but it does not really answer my question. I already know how to configure and delete scheduled scans.

The aim of the exercise is automation. I don't want to sit in the office monitoring when users are on their PCs and push out scans accordingly . . . I have better things to do. I want to create a setup where users' PCs are scanned on weekends but IF they happen to be in the office I do not want the scan to take precedence over them being able to use their computers effectively, therefore they need to be able to stop the scheduled weekly scan.

I figure a user is unlikely to be in the office for say 3 weekends in a row, therefore if they happen to stop the scan one weekend, it will run the following weekend. This is the setup I had with version 2.7 and I am really keen not to revert.

12. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

NoCelery, I know I wasn't able to directly answer your question but I did experience the exact same problem of not being able to top the automatic scan once it started. I just went for the scheduler solution right away. I didn't know that there is no manual stopping option in NODv4...or at least not one that we know about yet.

When you schedule a weekly scan isn't there an option to "only run when idle"? I thought I remember that being one of the selections from one of the pull down menus while setting it up. The problem is that the scan could still activate while a person is using the machine and effectively slow it down while they were working on it. You would think there would be a a better solution for your problem. I am not the NODv4 expert since I use NODv2.7 mostly so maybe some v4 experts in this forum could chime in on an effective solution.

13. NoCelery

ESET, where is the support, it has been more than a week since my original post? Could someone from ESET please answer definitively whether this is possible or not. And if it is possible, how does one set it up ?

14. NoCelery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.