How do you rate the new ZA ISS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

The earlier verision of ZA used CA Antivirus but over a year ago ZA switched their AV engine from CA to KAV in which was brilliant news. Has there been a significant improvement in this newly engined AV product.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

The software was better when they used ca

Maybe not in detection, but it was much better software back then.

3. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Agreed. It was better software overall back then. Today detection is ok, but some things not well integrated. Mediocre at best.

4. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

That statement needs to be backed up by some arguments...

For me, I liked Zonealarm in the early days, and I still do. I like how the firewall works, the suite runs great on my comp, and I have great trust in the antivirus/spyware capabilities :thumb:

5. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

the software does not somhow work as much as you can't well, its just a feeling i can't explain...

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I've only tried ZAAV 7.1 on my Vista laptop. It was already sluggish and ZAAV made it a fair bit worse.

7. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

It will do that on most machines-even XP.

8. maniac2003

maniac2003 Registered Member

I tried ZA ISS on WinXP not long ago. It's a nice program and not to heavy anymore. But it does extend the time my notebook need to start up.
    The custom rule making is not the easiest one, but what me annoys the most is the scantime of the Kaspersky AV engine. It's so SLOWww.
    After 3 hours the scan was still not finished (120GB 5400rpm, 2GB DDR2-667, C2D T7200).

9. computer geek

its not like the feeling i think a suite should give me, its got good detection, and should keep you safe but its sometimes crawls your pc, making you suspect malware and not feel secure with it..

10. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I much prefer ZoneAlarm AntiSpyware, which excludes the Kaspersky-based antivirus feature. ZoneAlarm Security Suite behaves just like KAV 6 and 7 in that it adds hundreds of thousands of permanent ObjectIDs to the filesystem. Some users claim that they don't mind, but given an honest choice I think that almost everyone would prefer not to have the ObjectIDs if it didn't affect the operations of the program.

Hopefully KAV 8 will solve this, and maybe someday ZASS will switch to that engine or to some other antivirus engine that doesn't make these types of changes to the filesystem, but in the meantime I can hardly recommend ZASS to anybody.

Incidentally, ZAAS (ZoneAlarm AntiSpyware) is much lighter than ZASS and runs quite well on underpowered systems. I would suggest going with ZAAS and a separate antivirus product.

11. Matern

Matern Registered Member

Zone Alarm is Bloatware and has some "Privacy" Problems, there are a lot of Freeware tools, making the things better.

12. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

What kind of privacy problems are you referring to?

13. Matern

Matern Registered Member

Home calling and Spyware Toolbars.

14. fax

fax Registered Member

Home calling: there was a bug in one of the first release of ZA7. This has been fixed and discussed/proven here. So currently this statement is simply FALSE. You can set ZA not to call home if you wish so.

Spyware toolbars: You mean Ask toolbar in ZAfree?
    There is no ASK toolbar in any ZAISS version.

Please don't just post misinformation here based on what to hear on the web. :isay:

Cheers,
    Fax

15. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

You haven't tried the latest build I see.
    It's faster than most suites I tested

16. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

The latest version does have an extended Bootup compared to KIS but it runs relatively light on my system. It is a full featured firewall & has a decent HIPS or something like Hips it does protect your compuer. It certainly is not as intrusive with popups as Comodo or OAL. You can actually make firewall rules if you wish. It works out of the box..pretty decently. If you are a Zonealarm hater then its not for you. If you want what is probably the last easy to configure firewall with a very nice AV & a good HIPs & some Spyware protection then try it out you may be surprised when you actually prefer it over some of the other solutions now on the market. By the way it uninstalls very easily.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

a good HIPS?

18. fax

fax Registered Member

19. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Sounds very targeted. Not a full blown hips if I recall correctly.

20. fax

fax Registered Member

What do you mean by targeted?
    The list does not seem to me very targeted and is not complete.
    And files are controlled regardless if they access internet or not.

Cheers,
    Fax

21. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

As in it monitors specific parts of the system and doesn't give a popup for almost anything any program does like in Defence+ for example.

22. fax

fax Registered Member

Depends how you set it... you can set to bore you with as much as possible pop-ups or to be very silent and warn you only for unknown executables.

So, if you disable SmartDefence Advisor and set program control to custom you will be hit by many pop-ups. Virtually for whatever program you run performing suspicious activity :D

Cheers,
    Fax

23. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Haha coming from comodo 3, that would have made me feel at home :p. Well I'll wait until ZA is a bit more mature on Vista before I try it again.

24. fax

fax Registered Member

and to answer to the OP....

The latest build is far the best in ZA build history (for me). I can see better shutdown/bootup performance as compared to 6.5. Better component control. Better uninstalling/installing routine and of course better AV detection (much better!)

Of course, ZA with KAV engine does not like many other security related software... so its not really good for users that likes to install/remove any sort of security tools in the system. Cleaner is the system better ZA will perform.

Cheers,
    Fax

25. computer geek

yep, like i was hit with 500 popups one day in under 10 seconds.:D NEW RECORD. :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.