How do you manage your hash in win 7?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sully, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I was wondering what tools and techniques the Wilders community uses with checksums and hashes on files they download.

There must be some favored methods that improve the time and ease of verifying what you are downloading, rather than simply looking at the checksums and saying "looks good".

I have always used the hash tab in XP, but now am wondering on win7 what others are using.

Sul.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Re: How do you manage your hash?

Using HashTab as well on Windows 7 64-bit.

3. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Sully,

I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to add in your thread title the words "on Win 7". So the title would be:
    "How do you manage your hash on Win 7 ?"

;)

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Good point. Unfortunately it did not seem to take.

Thanks though.

Sul.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread title changed.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I tend to use digital signatures as a trust source rather than hashes. I don't tend to install much non-signed software. In such a case it's usually alpha software from a trusted repository.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Thank you.

Sul.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

How much do you find is non-signed? What is your recourse if you find a non-signed software you wish to try? Do you even bother with md5 or other checksum, or do you just install it (vmware or whatever safe method you might use) ?

Isn't there a way at all in any of the browsers or managers that will show you the hash after download so that you can compare right away instead of having to use other tools?

Sul.

9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks Sully and Ron for changing the thread title; I suggested it because I thought that was what Sully was asking for ;)
    I will follow this thread with interest in case I might migrate to Win 7.

(On XP I have several tools (both free and not-free) to do this; but mostly I use my much beloved old CryptoSuite.)

I am wondering whether DigestIt2004 works on Win 7.
    Anyone up for testing it on Win 7?
    http://www.colonywest.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=56

10. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I use hashtab and FileVerifier++.

Panagiotis

11. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

None. Do I need to check the file hash on downloads I already trust?

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Unless your crypto embedded super computer brain can do a binary comparison by simply looking at the file once you download it, umm, maybe?

I have always thought it as a bit of a hassle to view the checksum online and then open hashtab to compare. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, and as you elude to, it depends just how much I think I can trust the source.

I am curious if there is a method available that makes it convenient so that I am encouraged to always check the sums.

Sul.

14. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

I'm also interested in finding a good MD5/SHA verifier for 7.
    My old XP solutions don't work on 7 yet, at least not the last time I checked.

15. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I guess I always thought of it as a waste of time checking it. After all, I've never been burned once obtaining a file from a source I trust. Have I just fluked out all these years?

16. Sully

Sully Registered Member

It can be a pain, for sure. But look how many applications now come with one. It is the attempt by the makers to ensure what you get is what they made, not something slipped with trojans etc. Not using it, well, obviously we can all atest to usually nothing goes wrong. But if you could use it conveniently, how much more could it become, especially to help those who can't just download and install without issues.

Sul.

17. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Firefox extension DownThemAll has a field in which one can paste a hash as a download is started. DownThemAll checks the hash when the download has completed, and alerts the user to a mismatch.

18. guest

guest Guest

Can the hosted download be compromised? Yes. Can the published hash be maliciously modified? Yes, so I would preferably check with trusted online databases as well.

But I don't know what is the best tool to check hashes on Windows 7 - I don't waste my time with this boring practice. If I did, I would see myself as a paranoid, because I already maintain a very small set of selected software installed, to avoid vulnerabilities and other problems and, usually, I don't download alpha/beta software, neither new unknown software and I prefer to always download from the developer page when possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.