How do you make it work?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DDT, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDT

DDT Registered Member

I got a copy of Acronis, supposed to be the best in backup software. I installed it and backed up the first little thing it tells you to do during installation. Now that is the ONLY thing ever backed up. I have a Seagate Free Agent and I have tried all different types of things following the Acronis instructions (I bet I have read them 100 times) tried e-mail backup, nothing, tried a couple of others where I set the backup, nothing...tried setting up the secure zone and it shows on my computer's disk properties but not as an option in Acronis so I cannot access it.

What is the "trick" I am missing?
    On one backup of approx 3GB on USB2 the drive ran for hours, so much it was almost hot to the touch, but when all was done-the file was empty.
    I created an Acronis directory and so far the only thing in it is that first "settings backup" from installation. I wanted a full backup I could count on, disk imaging & cloning if needed.
    I am disabled and the computer is my life so I needed the best backup...so I replaced Ghost and Memo with this because it was supposed to be so much better...but no matter how hard I try I can't get it to back up anything.
    Even after it ran for hours that time it showed "running" next to the task in the "log" view but "idle" in the view in the bottom left the entire time and the green "status"bars that appeared when that first backup ran have never run again? After 11 hours there is nothing on the hard drive, --I might as well delete the secure zone since Acronis can't "see" it.

Also I set the e-mail backup on a daily schedule, the log showed it ran successfully for 5 days, but then after trying a manual backup I checked where the e-mail should be and there is nothing on the drives so it really didn't!

And I was thinking of replacing Norton with ESST :gack: but now I see on this forum they are the same company so I will stop that decision for now.

Is there something I am missing, I have tried to find the paid phone numbers and they are no where on the site, I would pay a reasonable amount to make it work but there is no place to find out whether it's better to get a year or one time and the chat never works. Any help here would be a last hope before I toss the thing (and it is a fully registered version and legitimate)

I have decided this product has no support but this forum so I hope someone can help, and I will be staying with Norton even though I would have ordered ESST today or tomorrow if I had not seen it was the same people as Acronis.:blink:
    Norton support varies from bad to great but at least they have support.

PS: Vista Vista w/SP1 32 bit NTFS on a quad core workstation & Seagate 750 Free Agent connected w/USB2.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm a little confused.

Are you using a copy of TI and have Free Agent installed, or just using Free Agent?

I haven't used Free Agent, so what is the backup that it asks you to do during installation?

Is your external drive connected to a front USB port? If so, try attaching it to a rear port, make sure you have no other USB devices such as a hub or card reader connected for the moment.

If running TI with Free Agent installed, it might be worth disabling Free Agent.

Some one who has played with Free Agent might pop along soon.

How did you make the Secure Zone?In Windows Disk Management does it show up as FAT32 Acronis?

In Device Manager (hold Win button + Pause/Break) \Devices is the Acronis Devices network card icon green or have a yellow ? against it?

Colin

3. DDT

DDT Registered Member

Free Agent is just the name of the series of external drives. (Like Free Agent 500, 750, 1TB, etc.) They are Segate's "top of the line" in externals.
    It has it's own display icon but that just shows it's properly connected & working etc.
    It is on a powered USB 2 hub but it would be very difficult to get a direct plugin. However if that makes that much difference I can try it. It will just mean I will have to rearrange plugs every time I use Acronis so automatic backups will be impossible (having a broken back it's hard to get to the computer ports) and I would guess it could change the drive letter (you know how Windows is with automatic letters so I might have to manually re-name a bunch of stuff)

Does having the drive connected to a powered hub make the difference? It never affected Ghost or Memo.

PS: Yes the Secure Zone shows as Fat 32in Windows. Don't know about Acronis "network card" the external drive I am using shows normal.

AH--Found Acronis Icon, shows green next to it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  4. DDT

DDT Registered Member

WOW,
    I wish I had found this forum first, it looks like this program is a real turkey :mad: nobody can get to work right--and all those magazines saying how great it is---what a waste of time & money... (and why does the key have to be 70+ characters long?)

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Be sure and perform the deletion from within the Acronis program so you can reallocate the space back to its source. I suggest you do not use the Secure Zone (nor the Startup Recovery Manager) until you do more research about its features and limitations. The use of the Startup Recovery Manager is definitely NOT recommended on an external drive. User does not have direct access to this "secure" one. Access is handled by the program.
    You only see the postings by many of the disgruntled and a very postings praising Acronis because it saved their data. You do not see postings by the many that are pleased with the program.

True Image Home is a Backup and Recovery Imaging program and for many of us, it excels at this function. The more you use the program the more you will understand how it works. Since you had Ghost, you know there is a distinct learning curve in learning any new program--especially a backup and imaging program. User's that are unwilling to invest some learning/research time time will be disappointed

Acronis has a set of training videos. These were written for version 11 but the basic procedures are the same for version 2009.
    Acronis® True Image 11 Home Training Video
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/video10/

I think you would also benefit from reading my guides listed on line 2 of my signature below. Again, these were written for prior versions but the background information would be beneficial.

Line 1 of my signature links to a forum "sticky" where you can find threads about the Secure Zone & Startup Recovery Manager". If after reading that thread, you want additional information about the Secure Zone, search for postings by Xpilot

Also suggest that you use Windows Disk Management and assign a specific drive letter to your external drive. Choose a letter which will not be assigned to any other device. I use letters within the range of R-W. Assigning a letter in this manner should cause the drive to assume the same drive letter every time it is connected--even if you add other new USB devices. Also suggest you assign unique names to your drives as recommended by my guides. Using drive letters within the TI Recovery CD can be misinterpreted as the CD is based on Linux which letters drive differently as compared to Windows.

If you have not created a Rescue CD (which is a requirement should your hard drive fail), do so now. Check this link.

How To Create a TrueImageHome Rescue CD
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188253

Free Support by Acronis can be handled by the Live Chat feature available by logging into your personal registration page.
    The program also offers an extensive help file available by holding down on the ALT key to disclose help menu at top row menu. Also available for download is the User Guide from this link. Sometimes Aconis Support will respond to a posting such as yours.
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/docs/

The Acronis support page also offers Pay per Incident at their support page below (contact us) but the Live Chat is free.
    http://www.acronis.com/support/

Some user have been able to use APC brand usb hub. Depending upon how many usb connectors you have on your computer, perhaps you could split or make other connections. The direct to rear connector has been known to help others. Even using a better quality usb cable has helped some users.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  6. DDT

DDT Registered Member

First I have read & re-read ALL the instructions that came with this new unopened disk myliple times and probably have 20 hour invested in it so lets not talk learning curve. Many forums are from happy product users sharing tips, that's a sign of support. There is NO chat (it Never works, goes back to support page) and nowhere does it give you a place to access phone support, I usually will pay since I am disabled just to get something going.

Why would you create a secure zone on a drive you were trying to backup, everything crashes you can't get to it? I thought that's what the disk it has you create first was for (reads that way in the set-up)

But forums with disgruntled users mean one thing BAD or no support. Like I siad Norton goes from lousy to great depending on who you get BUT they do have a number. Microsoft has paid phone support, easy to get to, here nothing works, links take you in a circle. You have probably never tried to access these features & don't know the links don't work .

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What new unopened disk?

There is no point getting snotty with those of us who are trying to help you, no matter how frustrated you are. Even if we were paid to help, you getting snotty certainly puts my back up, and makes me less inclined to help.

You have the system in front of you, and know what you are doing. we are having to interpret what you have written and are thinking. It is possible you use terminology in one way and others in another.

As you haven't specifically mentioned it we are assuming you are using TI2009 and the latest build - could you confirm?

If you are using TI 2009, it allows you to image to a default location which it creates called 'My Images' under your My documents folder - try making and image to here. If TI fails, then we know it is an install or Windows background utility causing a problem, if it doesn't we at least know the install is 98% OK.

Does this drive come with auto recognition and backup software like the Western Digital Book drives?

If it does (even the auto recognition) might cause Acronis problems if its driver conflicts with Acronis's.

If you look in Services or in Windows Task Manager what Acronis services are showing and which ones are running and set to automatic?

Services - start\run\"services.msc"
    Task Manager - CRTL + shift + escape

Colin

8. Skytrooper

Skytrooper Registered Member

I've installed three versions of ATI on multiple PCs over a period of years and can't recall ATI ever telling me to backup anything during the program's installation process.

Since you're going to use an external hard drive to store your backups, why are you messing with Secure Zone?

Acronis e-mail support is usually slow (and that's being charitable). In my experience, Acronis Live Chat has been extremely prompt. Getting responses from Acronis tech reps in this forum is hit-and-miss.

Nobody? :rolleyes: ATI works fine on my XP and Vista PCs with backup images stored on internal and external (Seagate Free Agent) drives. Perhaps I should change my member name to Nobody. :cautious:

Most of the posts in this Acronis forum are from people experiencing problems; that's the nature of support forums. If you visit the support forums for ShadowProtect, Paragon, Macrium Reflect, etc., you'll find users reporting problems, too.

"NO chat"? "it Never works"? Really? :rolleyes: It took me a whole twenty seconds to get connected to a tech rep using Acronis Live Chat. What's the advantage of phone vs. one-to-one online support? Especially when it's free.

If you're going to store your backups on a different drive than your primary, then there's no reason to create a Secure Zone (which is why I wondered at you using the feature). Secure Zone is explained in the ATI User Guide. I can't imagine why anyone using an external or a second internal drive to store backup images would create a Secure Zone.

You read ATI's instructions 100 times and still thought the rescue CD's purpose was for storing backups? o_O We evidently have very different sets of instructions.

Acronis has free online chat support. Personally, I prefer free, prompt online support to paid phone support but that's just me.

I found Acronis Live Chat to be easier, and faster, than any phone support I've tried, certainly MSN's and HP's. The only time I used ATI's e-mail support, it took several days before I received assistance. I've been waiting for months to hear back from support requests submitted to three other software firms.

I have no idea why Acronis Live Chat isn't working for you. It worked fine for me and surely has for other folks.

I have ... and they do.

My ATI v9 and v10 keys are 25 characters long; ATI v2009 key is 64 characters. You would really have a problem with the length of license keys for ProcessGuard, Registry Healer, etc. What possible difference does the length of your registration code make and how is it relevant to your problems?

GroverH gave you some good advice. I get the impression you're too angry and frustrated to be thinking coherently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.