How do you keep WSA from starting up ?

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by Knighthood, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knighthood

Knighthood Registered Member

Okay. How do you keep WSA from starting up ? I shut it down but at reboot it comes back up ( even in safe mode ! )

I see no setting for it to stay down. So I thought I'll just remove the check mark at start-up in the run mode of msconfig. HA !! It created a new start-up line and started back up ! At least it remove the duplicate line when I put the check mark back in the original start-up line after the reboot.

And by the way - after I shut it down and at reboot the UAC panel popped up asking if I wanted to allow WSA to make changes and I click NO and it still came up !

All this came about because my window firewall will not stay up and i think WSA is shutting it down every time I try to start it up. I wanted to shutdown WSA to prove it ( or test it ).

Of course there is no uninstall for WSA either for me. I tried to install the latest one but of course it knows already that it was install and so it doesn't bother installing.

This is WSA version 7.9.0.4

Thanks !

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

You can't prevent WSA from starting up, but if you're having uninstall problems, could you try running the following commandline:

"c:\program files\webroot\wrsa.exe" -uninstall

As long as you run this from an elevated command prompt, it should allow you to start the uninstall process if needed.

Let me know your results!

3. Knighthood

Thank you. You can close this out now. I am still having problems with window firewall shutting down even when WSA is not install and so we can rule that one out.

Thanks !!

4. grahamcopley

grahamcopley Registered Member

I've found that WSA Beta does not uninstall properly. On XP it leaves behind the driver :-
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\WRkrn.sys
    which starts on boot, then prevents XP from closing down (it hangs at "Windows is shutting down" blue screen).

This driver may still be hanging around and causing your problems.
    To resolve the problem, boot into Safe Mode and delete (or rename) the driver.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I saw that driver too after that I uninstalled WRSA the first time.

Though there's no need to boot into safemode to uninstall the driver, one can uninstall the driver manually in normal mode as well.

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

The driver should be removed automatically on reboot after uninstalling. Are either of you seeing it remain on disk after a reboot?

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I had it happen to me on my W7 Pro x64.
    After running the script and then uninstalling the one left over that you're discussing I was able to install the latest beta and everything appears to be working properly.
    I've been testing this beta since receiving my links when you first made it available to Wilders members.

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It's there AFTER reboot.
    FYI I use XP Home SP3 fully updated.

I always reboot when I uninstall any kind of software and after that I go hunting for leftover drivers and folders :)

9. joeblow789

joeblow789 Registered Member

If anyone still wants to prevent WSA from automatically running at startup, google msconfig for your version of windows. Haven't tried it for WSA, but it should work.

10. Knighthood

Joe please reread #1 post here again - I tried that - "So I thought I'll just remove the check mark at start-up in the run mode of msconfig. HA !! It created a new start-up line and started back up !" WSA is smart enough to create a new msconfig startup line !!

#2 said

You can't prevent WSA from starting up, but if you're having uninstall problems, could you try running the following commandline:

"c:\program files\webroot\wrsa.exe" -uninstall

As long as you run this from an elevated command prompt, it should allow you to start the uninstall process if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.