how do you handle microsoft updates?

Discussion in 'polls' started by mantra, Sep 21, 2013.

?

how do you handly windows 7/8 updates

1. install every updates

28 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. select which update to install

24 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. wait some days and install every updates

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. wait some days and install selected updates

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. do you have update turned of

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi

how do you handle microsoft updates?

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I have them set to notify, but since I know when they are going to be released I usually just go to the win update website and download them from there when they are available.

If that's what you meant by how I "handle" them. :)

Edit: it looks like this was what you meant, as I now see the poll. Even though this is how I do it in XP.

3. niki

niki Registered Member

I usually check them out first since not all of them are applicable, such as Microsoft updates or whatever.

4. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

On Win 7 I leave it for about 3 weeks then install the lot.

On XP I use rising pc doctor v5 to manually download, install and save them for that rainy day.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I install straight away what is important and recommended, they usually harden the system against new exploits.

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I leave Windows set to notify me when there are updates available. After I allow the download of updates, Windows will not install them until I approve of the installation.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Install knowing I have AX64 Time Machine and Parted Magic as fallback.

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I install all available important and just about all optional updates from time to time.

While I would like to have Windows Update set to automatically download and install all important updates, its insistence to keep prompting me to reboot to complete installing the updates no annoys me no end, as the only time I ever want to reboot my computer is when Windows or some other software stop working properly and I need to reboot to fix it.

Edit: Any delay I take to install new drivers is because I really hate rebooting after new updates are installed, not to wait and see if any of the new updates are causing problems for others. If it was not for being hounded to reboot I would check for and install new Windows Updates daily.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  9. theharlequin

theharlequin Registered Member

Windows XP Pro w/SP3 with Windows Update turned off.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I just manually update once a month preferably on Tuesdays. :)

11. new2security

new2security Registered Member

I avoid all non-critical updates even if they're in the recommended section. I also avoid the malicious remover tools.
    I install all security updates.

12. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i install everything except device drivers suggested by Windows Updates such as NVIDIA.

for those, i go directly to the manufacturer websites.

13. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I usually install just the security updates because the other ones sometimes cause more problems than they solve.

14. guest

guest Guest

Wait some days (or months) and install selected updates.

It's funny that when I installed drivers from the manufacturers' sites, M$ wants to update it again via the Windows Update and put some of them in the critical updates. I'm not sure which one is newer though, didn't bother to check.

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

In theory the updates from Microsoft should be more recent, however MS Update wants to install video and network drivers which in both cases are much older than my current drivers.

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I check all the updates 1 by 1 (Only read the description) and install the important ones. (Security & stability)

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I just choose whichever is the newest. Note that Microsoft drivers are usually more bare-bones.

18. guest

guest Guest

Speaking of updates, I was just being trolled by that feature. I set it to check only but let me choose whether to download and install updates. And today, when I rebooted, the screen said "Installing updates x of x". I checked the setting and guess what? It changed to auto install mode. Had some thoughts, it probably because I installed Movie Maker a few days ago. I understand that it might be useful for average users, but at least notify me when my settings are altered. OA 6 didn't give me any popups, maybe because I whitelisted it somehow or because OA 6 doesn't integrate properly in my Windows 8 PC.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Something like Microsoft Updates is most likely on Online Armor's default whitelist. Maybe try hiding updates next time? You can restore them later.

20. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Disabled auto-update. I use offline update tools like WSUS Offline Update and Portable Update.

21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

After the Office update issue which occurred recently, I wait a few days and install all updates.

22. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

When running Windows, I let the OS install all of them automatically. This is sufficiently painful that I basically don't use Windows any more; balancing security and user convenience is just too hard.

That said, I may have to try out one of the offline updates mentioned by safeguy. Now that I have a decent workstation again to handle the virtualization stuff, it would be nice to have Win32 on the laptop for experimentation.

Edit: OMG THANK YOU safeguy. WSUS Offline Update is brilliant. It had my Win7 SP1 install fully updated in a couple hours, download time included (and install and download time for .NET), plus now I can create an automatic update DVD. I don't know how people manage to use Windows without software like this.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  23. guest

guest Guest

I deleted OA's default whitelist and rebuild my own. Microsoft programs tend to change your settings when you installed them. MSE also altered the update to auto install mode.

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I HATE, HATE, HATE that.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

HEY! Everything is supposed to be "Auto" these days..but yes I hate that too :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.