How do you disable nod32krn.exe?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by DragonQuest, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DragonQuest

DragonQuest Guest

Since I do not use NOD32 as my resident scanner is there an option to disable nod32krn.exe from starting up with Windows as it eats about 10000K from my RAM. Even if it's there as a safeguard for unwarranted uninstallations or whatnot, I still would prefer the choice to have it run or not or it's no different than spyware....no offense. :p

If I must edit the registry, I'll do it. But I just want to make sure there is no hidden or secret switch command I don't know about. Thanks.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,
    disabling the nod32krn service from running at startup would render your computer exposed to viruses - the service is essential for nod32. However, you can comment out nod32kui.exe in the registry so that it's not run at startup - afterwards NOD32 CC will no longer be loaded (you will not get any alert window when a virus is found), but nevertheless access to infected files will be blocked as long as the nod32krn service is running.

3. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

since you're not using nod32 as your resident scanner, you're probably using another resident AV so you are still protected. You can prevent nod32krn.exe from running during startup by going to services, look for NOD32 Kernel Service and put it into manual. (hit run, type services.msc)

4. DragonQuest

DragonQuest Guest

@ sicko: A great big thanks for your awesome quick fix :D. You correctly understood from my previous post that I do have another AV as my resident scanner.

@ Marcos: Yes, I clearly understand that having nod32krn.exe will render my computer vulnerable to a virus attack, but I assure you that I have another AV that is quite capable of monitoring my computer in place of NOD32. I did disable nod32kui.exe, btw. I just wish there was a built in option to disable both these files for the convenience of users who have more than one AV solution. Thank you for your help.

5. DragonQuest

DragonQuest Guest

I meant not having nod32krn.exe. :p

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

At any rate, you need to have nod32krn running in order to get updates. Those who have more AV can simply disable AMON or the other resident monitor to prevent mutual conflicts. You're right in the point that NOD32 scanner does not require the service to be loaded, but memory would not be scanned in such case.

7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Hi Marcos
    All you say is true but if he wants to disable it he can always start it running when he wants/needs to for scans/updates via admin. tools/services again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.