How do I undo changes Paragon made, Recover my Disk after a mistake

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by AMAZ0N, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMAZ0N

AMAZ0N Registered Member

Hi,

I just made a really bad mistake and would love some help on fixing it.

This is my setup
    C: = winxp sp3 (16GB / 38GB used)
    D: = data (100GB / 109GB used)
    F: = external hdd (250GB free)
    Program: Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2012

Ok so I intended to migrate my OS (xpsp3) to the external drive, but I migrated to D: instead by accident.... changes were applied and the computer was restarted before I noticed my mistake.

So now the D: drive is a copy of my winxp and shows the remaining space +-93GB as free space.

Tried:
    I tried to undo the change but the undo change button is not available
    I downloaded Easus Disk Recovery Wizard and selected Recover Partition but the files it showed me where not the correct files..

Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

If you want to try to recover data that was in D:, delete this partition and use a recovery program like Recuva or O&O DiskRecovery.

3. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Even after written over? Thought it would be lost forever.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Only a few gig was overwritten. The rest should still be there.

5. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I see but that could be only fragments though.

6. AMAZ0N

AMAZ0N Registered Member

I used easeus disk recovery, but eventhough it found the files (50gb of the most important data) and recovered the files, none of the files could be read afterwards. It seems all the restored data is corrupted somehow.

recuva estimated it would take 24hours just to scan the hard disk.

so before I use recuva, i'm trying to use easeus to scan the the same data off an another hdd which had the same data a few days ago....:'(

it would have been great if paragon had it's own recovery features built-in. if it does, I clearly failed to find or use them

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Unfortunately, you have a scrambled mess of 2 different partition's data and once the last data from the restore was placed on top of the original data it is gone (unless you work for an organization with high-powered forensic tools).

You can't rely on the last data affecting only the files in the area where it was placed since the files that appear to be in the untouched area may have some sectors in the modified area. Undo functions only work on sectors that have not been overwritten. You can undo a partition change if no data was written because only a few entries are changed in a table and you can undo a format for the same reason because only a new file-table is created leaving the data unchanged but once the data sectors are overwritten you have a problem.

Do you know why you selected the wrong partition? The usual caution is to make sure each partition has a unique label and not to rely on drive letters.

8. AMAZ0N

AMAZ0N Registered Member

yes, it's a mess, and I figured out that I'm screwed. nonetheless I will try for another day or two and see what happens. thanks for the support, if something does actually work, i'll post my solution ;)

oh. I picked the wrong partition cause I was mad at something or another and just overlooked it. Well my anger came straight back to bite me.....*puppy*

background info; the reason i got into this mess in the first place is because i wanted to make an image of my perfect xp sp3 installation. i was going to save this on my externall hdd and keep it to perform installations on dissimilar hardware whenever needed. since paragon can only migrate os to a complete disk, and not a partition, i figured, i'd move all my important data from my external to my backup hdd, and migrate the os to the external. but alas i migrated to the backup hdd. yes major fail........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.