how do I un-kill a process?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by mazzy, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazzy

mazzy Registered Member

:oops: Uh-oh, I just killed my email server. What do I do now?

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Re-starting your machine should do the trick ;) ....

Regards,
    Kent

3. mazzy

mazzy Registered Member

:D Thanks..........I'll give it a try.

4. puff-m-d

That should work..... If it does not, let us know.....

Regards,
    Kent

5. mazzy

mazzy Registered Member

:'( It didn't work. My mail man is really dead.

6. puff-m-d

mazzy,

Someone more knowledgeable than me in this area will be along soon to help you.....

I am a little baffled on this one myself....

From the PE help file:
    Kill Process/Socket - Will say "Process" or "Socket" depending on which primary submenu you clicked on. Kill Process will terminate the socket's parent process, while Kill Socket will attempt to close just the individual socket.

From this and from using kill socket and/or kill process in PE myself, it only terminates them, no deleting is done. I may be wrong, but if rebooting did not help, to me anyways, it seems like something else may be going on besides something PE did.....

Hang tight and the experts from DCS will be along shortly to help you ;) ...

Regards,
    Kent

7. mazzy

mazzy Registered Member

Thank you for the info. I'll check back in a bit.

8. Minera

Minera Registered Member

Hi
    I also have the trial version of TD and the same thing happened to me.
    After I killed the process I couldn't get my mailservers to work.
    Also I use ZA and for some reason I had problems with that also.
    I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling BOTH.
    Things worked fine for a few days. I have been checking for some unusual hidden streams (possibly left behind from an earlier hacker problem)
    The bytes kept showing up as sending 80 and receiving 0 in different files all the time. When I did a full system scan I had all sorts of hidden streams all over the place not just where they were before. Then the ZA clicked in with a notice saying another 'network' wanted permission. Since I did not recognize it I denied it permission but it was accepted anyways.
    After that I could not close tds or even connect to the internet as it said I had 'no connection' to internet. I ended up shutting down and unplugging the internet connection (home network) but everything was changed and the strange 'network' was still connected and I couldn't access the net. Also, something kept turning OFF my McAffee Virus guard.
    No viruses according to checks so I uninstalled both ZA and TDS and rebooted. I also installed a trial firewall from McAffee, to see if there was some sort of 'conflict'. Everything worked fine until I reinstalled TDS.
    Now once again my McAffee firewall turns off by itself and I have to re-enable it all the time. I have port explorer running and see nothing unusuall. I am just wondering if TDS is somehow causing a conflict with McAFFEEo_O or ZA firewalls, since there is no infection (that I can find)
    Any suggestions?

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

One central question here:
    did you say you have the mcafee firewall running and Port explorer?
    Did you really write that? And with the mcafee firewall up Port Explorer is running normal and doing all it's normal things? Is this really true?
    HOW DID YOU MANAGE THAT?? As PE can't run (normally) with the mcafee firewall UNLESS you found some settings enabling it! So:
    either you found the specific settings in the mcafee firewall to make this happen first time in history since human life was on internet with Port Explorer,
    or your mcafee firewall is not properly configured and not running at all.
    The fact it closes and has to be restarted each time makes it look like that, so there seem to be several problems on your system, which need to be cleaned out.
    Either first of all get an online anti-virus scan for by the sound of it nothing is realiable on your system at the moment.
    Or, since you're on XP, try to go back a few days to before the problems started.
    I have been told only the system is set back, not the datafiles you produced after that (correct me if i'm wrong) so please gtry that and after that scan another time and look if you still need to install any of your protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.