How do I transfer files from a Host Windows 7 OS to a Guest Windows 7 in VirtualBox?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by DesuMaiden, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I just installed Windows onto Virtual Box from a Windows 7 dvd.

Windows 7 is running smoothy from the iso image (which is burnt onto a DVD), but I can't transfer any files from my Windows 7 Host OS to my Windows 7 Guest (Virtual Box) OS.

I clicked on Devices---------->Install Guest Additions (Host +D)
    and for some unknown reason I am unable to transfer any files from the Guest OS to the Host OS or vice versa. Could it because the Host Windows 7 I am using doesn't have its Activation Key activated? Maybe if the activation keys are activated, then the Host-to-Guest or Guest-to-Host transfer would work.

What does
    Host + (some random letter key like "Host + Q") mean?

How do I use these hot keys? What keys do I need to click on in order to use the "Host + (some random letter key )" feature?

2. Reith

Reith Registered Member

Drag and drop only works for Linux guests on VirtualBox, IIRC. They're working on adding support for Windows guests as well.

Currently the only way to transfer files back and forth between Windows guests/hosts is with shared folders.

The "Host" key is defined as Right Ctrl by default. So "Host + Q" would be Right Ctrl + Q.

3. DesuMaiden

How do I use shared folders properly? I tried using Shared Folders but to no avail.

4. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

This the reason I switched to VMWare. The instructions are impossible to firgure out & All efforts at transfering files failed so I dumped the whole thing.

5. DesuMaiden

Freeware is usually not as effective as non-freeware (is there a specific term for "non-freeware"). The money paid usually ensures greater quality than freeware.

6. Reith

Reith Registered Member

It's pretty simple, just make sure you enable shared folders for that VM in options, then pick the directory you want to share. If you want to share files both ways, give the VM write access as well.

It should show up as a network folder if you did it right.

But I agree with the other person who mentioned VMware, I keep switching back to Workstation because their WDDM support is also better (meaning Aero is smoother and games run faster). And of course it has support for drag and drop/shared clipboard on all guest/host combos I've used.

7. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

You pick the folder to share via the little sharing icon in the lower right status bar. Then in the virtual machine, you map to a network drive location \\vboxsvr\the_folder_name_you_chose_to_share. Hope this helps.

8. DesuMaiden

I followed those instructions, but I was still unable to share folders.Maybe I should switch to another virtual machine. Is there any other good free virtual machines?

9. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Sorry to hear that didn't work. You did install the Guest Additions in the guest OS, right? If not, you'll have to do that before shared folders will work. I found a good tutorial here and another interesting way to access the shared folders here. Take a look and hopefully they'll be helpful.

The only other free VM that I have used is Microsoft Virtual PC. It won't host x64 machines and Linux OS support is pretty awful. It does support drag-and-drop though, so you won't have to mess around with shared folders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.