How do I share files and printer on a network?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ohblu, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

I've got two computers that are each connected to a router. How do I configure the computers so that the files and the printer can be shared between those two computers? I know nothing about networking so I am very confused here. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere? Both computers are XP and I think SP2.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

For connecting just two computers, you may want to focus on peer-to-peer networking in Cudni's link above. It's the simplest setup.
    IF you can run a cable, it's quite simple.
    Note: you will need a "crossover" cable to connect the two boxes (vs. a computer to hub cable).
    Run Windows Network Wizard, and you should be all set.

4. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

I managed to get it configured and working. I had to use that network wizard thing. Is there supposed to be a constant "communication" between the computers? What I mean is that in the firewall traffic logs, there is a lot of traffic between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3 and sometimes I see 10.0.0.1. It's using svchost.exe and ndisuio.sys.

Also, I have this all setup via ethernet cables connected to a router. Previously, the one computer was connected via ethernet cable to the router (and perhaps also via a wireless connection) and the other computer was using a wireless connection. Is the way I have it now more secure compared to using a wireless connection? So far, there seems to be a slight improvement in speed, so that's a plus.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Yes, constant communication you are seeing is part of normal and necessary network traffic. If you have protected you wireless connection using something like WPA or WPA2, using a complex password then in practical terms it is just as secured as with ethernet cables

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.