How do I set up x versions backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kem, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kem

kem Registered Member

I have configured a TI 2009 daily files backup and I'm not exactly sure what settings to use to accomplish my goal:

I would like to *always* have the last 30 days of backups available so I can restore any file(s) to their state on any given day.

I would also like TI to automatically consolidate and/or delete any backup data older than the 30 days needed to prevent filling up my backup media.

Frankly I'm just not sure I understand how to configure my task(s) to accomplish this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. kem

kem Registered Member

(bump) :)

3. kem

kem Registered Member

(last bump) :)

If this is not possible I would like to hear that as well.

Thanks!

4. oldtimercurt

oldtimercurt Registered Member

Kem
    You might try searching the forum. This and related issues have been discussed numerous times.

OTC

5. kem

kem Registered Member

That was the first thing I did but I just couldn't seem to come up with the right search terms or am too blind to see the right thread.

Could you recommend some search terms that will definately return useful results or if you know of a thread that would help that would be great.

I also searched the Acronis knowledgebase.

Thanks! - KEM

6. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

7. kem

kem Registered Member

MrMorse,

Thank you, those links look like they will very likely provide the answers I'm looking for. It appears I have a lot to digest.

Regards,
    KEM

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kem,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

If you want to have a new full backup created every time a scheduled task is run, so that there will be several full backups instead of one, you can use the following batch file

This batch file renames a specified file, so that a new file with the same name will not overwrite it. If you schedule a task that regularly creates a full backup, you may use Acronis True Image pre/post commands or Windows Scheduled Task Wizard to run this batch file before or after the backup process.

You should do the following to prevent Acronis True Image from overwriting a full backup under a scheduled task:

- Download rename_backup.bat
    - Edit the file in Notepad or another word processor;
    - Follow the instructions provided in the file to modify its contents according to the parameters of the task you scheduled in Acronis True Image;
    - Use Acronis True Image pre/post commands or Windows Scheduler Task Manager (in Windows XP: Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks -> Add Scheduled Task) to run the batch file before the backup process starts or after it is finished (thus, either renaming the previous backup or the newly created one).

You can also set Consolidation option to store backups for 30 days only (Storage Period Limit) in this case you will have 30 full backups every month.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.