how do i secure POP3 email login, not the messages

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by RT808, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RT808

RT808 Registered Member

I noticed in Thunderbird, all my account logins are set to send without security. I called my main ISP and they said they don't offer secured login.

Is there a way i can at least send my login info securely? the email messages themselves i don't need to encrypt. thanks

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Probably something like SpyShelter, Zemana, or KeyScrambler will be best, along with a good firewall.

3. RT808

RT808 Registered Member

i did install Keyscrambler free for FF and use sandboxie and delete at close, also have Avira suite running, but the logins are sent automatically by thunderbird. I guess i'd like to know how easy is it to grab the email login over my cable ISP's network?
    When it receives email it's contacting 2 mail servers for 4 accounts. that's what worries me

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Keyscrambler Personal doesn't work for ThunderBird, you need to buy it. SpyShelter has a usable free version for 32-bit systems. An HIPS (part of many firewalls) is also a viable alternative.

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I would tell your ISP to "pound sand" and cancel your email account and chose another provider that has secure login! ;)

6. RT808

RT808 Registered Member

is it really easy to grab the login password over the network? even if i buy Keyscrambler paid, since it's sent automatically, would it be scrambled since i didn't use the keyboard each time i logged in

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.