How do I restore an image to a larger HD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stevemaser, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevemaser

stevemaser Registered Member

I'm using the boot CD of 3677 "Home".

I made a backup of my entire hard disk to external USB hard disk. This made a .tib file that was a C: drive of about 10G.

I put in a new 160G hard disk in my computer and went to use the CD to "recover" this image to my new hard disk.

However, when I selected the tib file, then "restore disks or partitions" and then select a "whole hard disk drive" (disk 1) to restore (basically all the defaults), it ended up creating a C: drive that was 10G and the rest of the drive was "Unallocated".

I must have done something wrong at some point -- how do I get the 10G image onto the *entire* 160G C: drive?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

3. stevemaser

stevemaser Registered Member

This worked.

Oddly, the restore took significantly longer when writing to the whole disk than it did to just the 10G partition.

That's sort of surprising...

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello stevemaser,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

As far as I understood you have restored the image to the larger hard drive. In this case to enlarge the partition size you should changing the restored partition size during the restoration. Please note that when restoring the image of the whole hard disk there is impossible to resize the partitions. Therefore, to avoid such situations in the future I would recommend that you use the above procedure and restore partition with resizing (please check Chapter 6.3.8 "Changing the restored partition size and location" of the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide). Also please note that during a single session, you can restore several partitions or disks, one by one, by selecting one disk and setting its parameters first and then repeating these actions for every partition or disk to be restored (Chapter 6.3.10 "Restoring several partitions at once").

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.