How do I remove TrueCrypt Header Completely

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by MaxWanadoo, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxWanadoo

MaxWanadoo Registered Member

I had a system where TrueCrypt (7.0a) had encrypted the whole volume and the Windows 7 OS became corrupted. To cut a long story short, I restored the whole drive using a Manufacturers Set of Rescue Disks which effectively blew away everything on the PC - not a problem as I had it all elsewhere as well.

Windows now operates correctly. However, TrueCrypt keep popping up on bootup. If I enter the password, it then reports "No bootable partition found". If however, I just press the ESC key instead of entering a password, it continues on and Windows boots as normal.

Is there a way I can remove the TrueCrypt completely so this no longer appears. ie, drop the header block (or whereever it is).

I have considered downloading and re-installing TrueCrypt (I only have 7.1a available at the moment). but I fear that it might cause all my Windows settings to become corrupt again and I will have to start-over.

There is no guarantee that a re-installation will access the old header so that I can remove it, or is there?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks
    Max

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Rebuild/fix the mbr, OR use the rescue disk and restore the original mbr in the options menu. Very easy to do and quite safe. I have posted about this several times in this forum if you want a reference to read through. I am not at home now so I don't have my links sitting in front of me.

3. MaxWanadoo

Thanks Palancar, If you could give me some reference links when you have a moment that would be great.
    The rescue discs are the type that you have to boot from - 3 in total.

4. Palancar

I was referring to the TC rescue disk and NOT your windows disks. Don't worry if you don't have one. Just download (free) partition wizard and you can run it from bootable media if you don't want to install it. I have it installed and I also have it on bootable CDR. Launch part wizard and rebuild/fix mbr. That will remove the TC bootloader. This could not be an easier operation.

5. MaxWanadoo

Thank you, the PartionWizard.com Home Download did the trick.
    Cheers

6. Palancar

Glad to help. Enjoy!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.