How do I remove Abtrusion Protector?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by fannymites, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fannymites

fannymites Registered Member

I installed Abtrusion Protector around a week ago and have now decided I no longer want it so I was gong to uninstall it then on startup today I got a message saying that the trial period had expired.
    I installed the personal version which, according to the website, is free for home use.
    I didn't make a mistake and install the wrong version, it is definately the personal/free version.
    So now I'm trying to uninstall and I can't work out how.
    I looked at the website and it says to go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs
    but Abtrusion Protector isn't on the list.
    The website also says you can uninstall via the commend line but when I tried that it just brings up the Add/Remove Programs box and AP still isn't there.
    The only thing I can think of is to manually remove the AB folder and use RegSeeker to search the registry for anything relating to AB but I would rather be able to uninstall normally.
    [EDIT]
    http://img200.echo.cx/img200/9595/clipboard016pw.png

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  2. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

If my memory is not wrong, Abtrusion Protector is not located in Program Files folder, but in Windows/System32.
    The folder is named "AbtruPro" or "AbPro" or something like that.

It's necessary to prevent Abtrusion Protector service from running at the boot, and to disable the start up entry.

Then you can remove the program.

Regards

3. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I know,it happened to me too.At the first launching,a window pops up ,which more or less says "i will use this for personal use only", "I will install it only in one private pC" and i think a turn thing too.You must tick ALL 3 boxes to activate the free licence.If you don't,it's if as you didn't agree to their terms,so it becomes trial version only.

As to how to uninstall,it was always in add remove programs for me...But first you must disable all autostart features

4. fannymites

I read all the documentation before and during installation and I did check all boxes.
    I also noted while using it that I was warned I needed to remove it's registry protection before removing which I did and I stopped it from running in services and the other startup entry it uses via startup control panel and I am still unable to uninstall.
    The AbtruPro folder is in Windows\system32 but there is no uninstall file in there either so it looks like I'm stuck with doing it all manually.
    I certainly won't be using this program again.

5. squash

squash Registered Member

Don't delete the Abtrusion folder in program files. Because you have the .msi (the setup) file, just run that again to install abtrusion, then you can go to add/remove to remove the program correctly.

6. fannymites

Well I tried your suggestion but it brought up errors when I tried installing again and refused to install.
    One thing I noticed I didn't mention in my first post, I'm pretty certain Abtrusion Protector WAS listed in Add or Remove Programs before the end of trial period message came up.
    I must say this is one of the worst things I've ever installed.
    When I first installed it everything seemed to go well and all options were working.
    I forgot about AB and installed System Safety Monitor, while rebooting I suddenly remembered AB and expected problems on startup but SSM worked fine and was querying me about programs launching, in fact it asked me if I wanted to allow AB to run!! I thought AB was meant to block any new apps from starting, That's the whole point isn't it?
    Also, in an average couple of hours web browsing, Kerio Firewall would crash at least twice each time with a driver error. This never happened before I installed AB, never happened if I disabled AB in services and hasn't happened once since the "trial" ran out.
    Next, it tells me the trial period has run out and my computer would no longer be protected (though it seems it wasn't before) and none of the options would work any longer. When I install a program clearly advertised as free for home use this is the last thing I expected. If I had known it was a trial I wouldn't have installed in the first place.
    In fact the "trial" lasted about 5 days which is pretty poor even for a trial.
    And finally, when I try to remove the program in disgust it won't let me, I end up having to do it all manually.
    The cheek of it!

7. squash

squash Registered Member

Sorry to heat your bad experience with Abtrusion. The last time I tried it (on several occasions) I have no problems with it whatsoever. Better luck next time.

I use ProcessGuard and PrevX instead now. Awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.