How do I perform a 100% image or bare metal ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aschek, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aschek

aschek Registered Member

Hi,

I am new with this, so please excuse my ignorance.
    I bought a few weeks ago, a brand new Gateway computer, that included a RAID-0 with 2 (two) WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB each hard drive. Both drives I see as Partition 1 as a C (there is a D partition with 9GB of Gateway stuff, that D partition is like only 14GB)

I had issues with the drives so Gateway just send me 2 brand new hard drives I have to replace.

I need to move all my exact 100% system to the new hard drives without having to install everything again. So the only thing originally from the computer I am changing are only the 2 hard drives.

I contacted Acronis Sales, and they made me buy Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation AND Universal Restore for Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. I did, now I have both software installed on my computer.

Now I can't figure out how to do the moving ! I try to understand the logic, but I can't...

Would anybody be so kind and explain to me how i can do this on a step by step basis ? I am not an computer expert...

Also, did I buy the right software for the task I need ?? (in short, I need the same exact "image" or setup on the new had drives, and they should boot, as if nothing ever happened.) :)

I also have an external HDD drive so i can do the image there...

BTW, I have only used 122GB from the 300G available

THANKS SO MUCH !

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

all i can say is good luck and dont hold your breath
    i have found acronis to make alot of corropt images that dont restore so i hope the images your create do restore.
    lodore

3. aschek

aschek Registered Member

Hi !

So then what other solution is out there ? how did you do it ?
    thanks

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I'm not sure lodore's view is particularly balanced or helpful.

I suggest you start by checking out the user guide for TI:

http://download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImageCorporateWorkstation9.1_ug.en.pdf

Since you are not changing your Mobo or other hardware I would not use UR.

The first thing you need to do after installing is to create a rescue disk and check it boots OK. You may need to change the boot sequence to get the CD to boot before your disk. It can be achieved either by entering the BIOS at startup (using a dedicated hotkey) and changing the boot order, or, dynamically at startup using a different hotkey if your bios allows this. Make sure you understand how to carry out this procedure - you will need it.

Next run TI (from Windows) and use the "backup" function to create a "disk" image (not a "partition" image) of each of your drives, in turn, onto your external drive. Each will be saved as a .tib file.

Make sure that you verify these images using the "Validate Backup Archive".

Now remove your disks and fit your new disks.

Now boot from the recovery CD and use the "Restore" function for each disk in turn to restore the data from your external drive. Ensure that you recover the whole "disk" in each case, as opposed to a selected "Partition".

Hopefully that should get you going.

F.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello aschek,

As you are only replacing the original hard drives, I have no idea why Acronis Sales felt you needed the Work Station version of TI, along with its associated add-on, Universal Restore. The Universal Restore feature is only really required if you intend migrating an image of your current system to a different computer.

I believe either TI's basic imaging function or the disk clone function will achieve what you require. Therefore suggest you check out some of relevant links under "Wilders Security threads on common True Image problems and solutions" in forum sticky titled <Product Links, FAQs & Useful Forum Threads>, particularly GroverH's beginner's guides to imaging and restoring and the thread on resizing a restored partition.

Regards

6. aschek

aschek Registered Member

Dear foghorne

Thanks so much for your help.. I have printed your instructions and I will start the process now... just in case you don't see me in thenext hours, it means I run into problems ! ha ha ha.. Thanks again for your explanation and I will let you know about my outcome.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

also do a verify command on the archives to make sure they arent corropt by going to the tools section on the left hand side of the interface and clicking on verify backup archive browse to the archive and wait for the results. fingers crossed it tells your its fine.
    my post above is still valid but im still gonna help you make sure the archives will restore. if it tells you its corropt it will not restore so i would advise you to create a new backup.
    lodore

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Best to validate the image (prior to restoring) after booting from the Linux based Acronis rescue CD as that will be the environment you will be in when restoring the main system disk/partition. Sometimes TI can successfully validate an image from within Windows but reports it as corrupt when validated from the rescue CD. It also sometimes reports it the other way around :p. So, for greater peace of mind, it's always best to carry out the validation in the environment that TI will use to carry out the restore.

Regards

9. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman

yes you are right as a general principle, but in this particular case I find it a somewhat moot point as the original data will not be overwritten if the restore fails.

F.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello aschek,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

In addition to what Menorcaman and foghorne said, please notice that you will need to configure your RAID in BIOS before starting the restore procedure.
    You can find the detailed instructions on the restore operation in chapter 7 "Restoring the backup data" of the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.