How do I make an exact copy of my system drive.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bobby269, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby269

bobby269 Registered Member

I am using win xp pro sp-2. ATI 9.0 build 3677. It's the latest download file. I removed my earlier registered and properly paid for copy before installing the update.
    I want to make an exact copy of my C: drive( sata drive) to either a eide drive or a usb/firewire external harddrive.
    When the process is completed, I still want my C:drive to be the system boot drive.
    Can I use the clone process? It appears that I can't use the automatic part. I'm new to this product and a little hesitant to try without some advice.
    I would appreciate any help offered. Does the download copy, PDF of the manuel cover my question.I'm still working on getting it down loarded properly.

2. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

To make an exact copy you can either create an image and store it on another media or drive or you can use the clone feature and clone your drive to another drive. Both procedures are covered in the User Guide.

Importantly, whichever procedure you select, do not delete partitions on your source (existing) drive. That way you'll be able to continue using your C drive as your boot drive.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you make an image of your drive you will be able to keep several backups on the destination drive. Naturally, it depends on how much data you have and how big the destination drive is that you are storing your images on. A C drive typically will compress to about 60-70% in size since the files for the most part aren't compressed and the swap file isn't backed up.

If you clone, you are limited to the one copy.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bobby269,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk (Chapter 12. "Transferring the system to a new disk") - copy/migrate the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup (Chapter 5. "Creating backup archives") - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes.

Please have a look at this previous post of mine describing the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches.

You may also find this article providing the illustrated instructions on Acronis True Image 9.0 Home installation and usage useful.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.