how do I know a restore will work?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by riechert, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riechert

riechert Registered Member

As a new user of TI 7 I'm not sure how much I need to do (short of a wipe and restore) to know, or at least be reasonably certain, that I'll be able to do a TI restore.

So far I've created images on another drive of my 2 partitions and verified them in Windows. I've also created a TI boot CD and verified that the PC does boot and TI runs. Is that enough? Should I boot off the CD and do a verify once? Should I boot CD verify every time?

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

There is no way of knowing, and this applies to all backup software, not just TI, with 100% certainty that an image you made will actually work, even if the verify features says it will. It's one of life's little risks. :doubt:

Acadia

3. jsl

jsl Guest

One thought... Get a scratch disk (there cheap now) that is large enough and restore to it. Then try replacing your system boot disk with that one and see if all is well (a simple cable swap). That way you don't have to risk wiping your good disk just to verify that your image is good. I don't think you should have to do this every time but at least once to make sure the complete process works for you.

4. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

What you are talking about calls for a well thought out backup/restore procedure/strategy. Creating images and having them on hand somewhere does not make for a "bring it back to life" scenario after the ultimate disaster has occurred. And, "reasonably sure" just does not get it when we are talking restores. It's all or nothing, so, every last thing from image creation to final reboot after installing a new drive and restoring has to be ABSOLUTELY perfect! That is, if you want to get back to where you were before the disaster struck. I have been "messing" with backup/restore procedures for more years than I care to talk about and to this day I still get that awful feeling in the pit of my stomach that lasts all the way thru a critical restore operation. My procedures were fine tuned many years ago and they work regardless of the b/u software I am using. Once you have a "plan" and it has been thoroughly tested, retest after every significant change to your hardware/OS software. The key to successful data retention is not the software used, it is the knowledge of how to be prepared for whatever comes your way, and, to be able to recover from it *puppy* !

5. bobat

bobat Registered Member

So, your answer is, umm..., what?

;)

6. mike_wells

bobat,

I believe the original question (in esssence) was "how far does one have to go to know for sure that they can do a successful restore".

And, the answer is; have a tried and true, thoroughly tested backup and restore procedure/strategy that will cover the most catastrophic event. Now, I thought I had gotten that point across in my ramblings but apparently for some I did not.

I will leave you with that to ponder as this is really not the place to conduct basic classes for reliable b/u and restore procedures. Rather, this is where we discuss issues with Acronis TrueImage software. *puppy*

7. nick s

nick s Registered Member

When someone asks for assistance at Wilders, basic or otherwise, we do our best to provide it.

Nick

8. mike_wells

Nick,

"When someone asks for assistance at Wilders, basic or otherwise, we do our best to provide it".

And I did! *puppy*

Mike

9. RLK

RLK Registered Member

"We, The Few, The Knowledgeable, The Experienced"

The rest of Us, The Many, are attempting to elicite The Knowledge, and The Experience, from You, Mr. Wells.

Thank you Sir...

10. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, All

I cannot not see what else mike_wells needs to say to be understood?

As they say if you see a tree and do not see any wood? [you add the rest]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

11. mike_wells

RLK,

I started the "We, The Few..." thread in defense of ALL who visit and utilize this Forum. Had you understood my opening and read the previous thread that prompted me to start this one, I do not believe you would have replied in sarcasm. Obviously, neither was the case. So be it! *puppy*

Mike

12. RLK

RLK Registered Member

The above is what we are trying (I think) to elicite from you Mike. What is your "well thought out backup/restore/strategy"? I understand that it may seem too simplistic to bother with (a given). However....

Definitely no sarcasm intended or meant! Hey, I'm new here and do not want to alienate one of the TI Guru's.

Respectfully,
    RLK

13. mike_wells

RLK,

I apologize for misunderstanding. And believe me I DO NOT think for a momemt that the subject is "too simplistic to bother with". I will be more than happy to start a new thread tomorrow with the procedures that have worked for me over the years. I became heavily involved with b/u and restore technology with the "1st coming" of Win95. This was primarily due to the introduction of long file names and how retention could be applied to them in a backup/restore scenario. I quickly found out that for the most part no one really had any solid plan when it came to data retention. Everyone was taking backups of some sort but the thing that was sorely missing was the restore process when all had gone by the wayside. Look for it tomorrow, I promise to be as detailed as I can, given the space I am alloted here. *puppy*

Mike

14. noonie

noonie Registered Member

riechert
    In short, if you want to be 100% sure follow jsl's suggestion and do a restore on a separate hdrive and test it. You can use portable hdrive trays for boot disks to save yourself from cable connects etc. Just power down, swap trays and reboot. Trays and hdrives a cheap these days. Raid setups work well with data.
    Image backups from trueimage are primarily designed to restore a working system to hopefully avoid the hours and hours involved in reinstalling an os, programs, tweaks and personal settings aquired over time. It's nice that you also can retrieve your data with a restore.
    Data backup should also be done separately in addition. If you are worried about fire, floods, theft and other disasters, offsite data backup is also a plus, on either separate hdrives, cd's, tapes, or dvd's.
    It all depends on how much you feel your time and/or your data is worth. How much would it cost you to recover a lost system? I think it's well worth the cost of a few pieces of software and hardware. There is a broad spectrum of potential loss, from personal digital pictures to corporate accounting and more. Surprisingly digital pictures are not replaceable, accounting can be. ONLY YOU CAN ASSESS YOUR NEEDS.
    This isn't rocket science. To be abolutely safe, use more than one method and/or media. I personally use 3 image progs, 2 spare hdrives and dvd's and test them.

15. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, noonie

The suggestion is not new or his jsl[, it is simple as you say.

Very sound advice, noonie

My System with Mobil Super Racks

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.