How do I install Tails?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I'm just curious about what kind of steps you must take in order to install Tails onto a USB memory stick. I'm not very technically savy, so can you guys give me, simple step-by-step instructions on how to do this ?

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Personally, you're better off with the live cd with a separate usb stick only for saving files because that way you know the Tails disk image could never be infected (cause live disk benefits).

Here's their guide on how to do a USB install though: https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/installation/index.en.html
    Look over that if you haven't already and we can go from there.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

One thing to note though is that the cd is slow as hell. When running from a usb flash, TAILS is fast to load and runs "crisp"! Tails is designed to run on a flash without anything changing, although to strengthen my chances I use older flash drives with physical lock switches too.

You can easily configure LUKS (great linux encryption) on a separate usb flash for keeping files you want to. If you hide that separate flash there is no record of its existence at all. As you likely know you can place that encrypted volume on the same tails flash if its large enough. Remember thought that the existence of the volume will never be a secret this way.

Regarding install: about the easiest method for a newbie is to download the iso and burn a CDR. Then you load tails into RAM by running the CDR. From there you can write it directly to a usb because it does it all for you. It is amazingly easy to install tails on a flash drive.

My raw line is blistering fast but with tails (using the TOR network) I get about 6-7 meg through the circuit. Fast enough for what I use tails for.

I totally love the amnesia of tails. It has its place!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.