How do I get Eset's signature line removed from all my emails?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by DJGUser, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJGUser

DJGUser Registered Member

I know I can turn it off, but it wasn't when it first scanned, so now that line is in every one of my emails. How do I now automatically get that line removed?

2. Ardmore

Ardmore Registered Member

Unfortunately, per a knowledgebase article you can't remove the tag once it's there.

I've had NOD32 for a few days now (4.0), and was initially delighted with my purchase. But now that I see that virtually all of my thousands of Outlook emails have a HIGHLY unwanted and non-removable tag on them (several lines and a link to ESET), I am seriously doubting that I made a smart purchase.

I just can't believe ESET would have both tag-appending AND "re-scan after update" included by default. No warning. A hit-n-run intrusion. Despite up-front assurance that you are best-off leaving all the default settings in place, at least in the personal-use version I have. The praise about NOD32 not "taking over" one's system may be true; they take over (irreversibly imprint) your email instead. I've never had any AV do that. Not even older versions of Norton. Free AOL Webmail maybe, but non-free NOD32?

And I notice that thus far support is failing to provide the promised next-business day response to emailed questions. You could usually reach BitDefender support day or night via chat, even if their answers were sometimes dumb or dismissive. And their email response was sometimes fast, sometimes slow but they never promised a next-day response, as ESET does (without delivering on the promise thus far). Ironically, one of my as-yet unanswered questions related to email scanning.

Here's the link to the improperly-titled kb article, "How do I remove the notification tags that are appended to my email?" The answer to that question, as worded, should simply be, "You can't." What the article really tells you is how to prevent future tagging, which you already know.

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2105

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  3. PRJUS

PRJUS Guest

I have requested that ESET changed ther default setting for the e-mail tag twice in this forum and Marcos replied that they would look into it one of the times but as i can read from your posts they haven't.

I think that the way it behaves per default is totally unacceptable!

I can kind of understand that free antivirus solutions want to include some kind of advertisement like "This e-mail was scanned by the free AVG..." but a licensed solution like ESET Antivirus should NOT.

4. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

5. Ardmore

Yes, and as you no doubt know there are many programs and services that actually use tag-removal as an inducement to upgrade from a free version to a paid version, e.g. Spamfighter and Yahoo! Mail. The fact that the NOD32 tag is unnecessarily bloated into 5 lines (!) of email real-estate makes this even more annoying.

Right now I am thinking about how I might merge pre-NOD32-alteration messages from a March 5 backup of my Outlook pst file with later messages. That should be lots of fun. :mad:

Thankful, sorry to hear about your related issues and that you are not receiving replies from support.

6. Ardmore

Hmmm...just got an email from ESET, encouraging me to buy if I were still in the trial period. Interesting to note that they didn't feel any need to put that "reassuring" 5-line imprint at the bottom of their own sales emails to prospects. Wonder why not? :cautious:

7. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Enter advanced setup tree. Highlight email client protection. Where it says append tag messages to received and read mail and append tag messages to sent mail click on the drop down boxes underneath each one and select never.

8. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

Just tried that it removed the signatures.

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A couple of offtopic posts removed.

10. Ardmore

I think what you mean is that you disabled the imprinting of any future signatures, right? According to the knowlegebase (and my own trial), the method you cite will not actually remove already-stamped signatures. It will just prevent future imprinting.

Similarly, the knowledgebase article is confusing in its use of the word "remove." It should say actually say "disable." I.e., they're telling you how to turn off this feature, not how to undo what it's already done (because that isn't possible).

Even if for some reason ESET feels it's important to include the email tagging as the default, perhaps the initial installation procedure dialog (even the recommended "typical" installation) could provide a checkbox for disabling this, i.e., an immediate opt-out. Or at least a notice that all scanned emails will be stamped unless the function is disabled in Advanced Settings, so that new users aren't caught off guard. I'm sure there will be plenty who are happy to leave the feature in place, while those who don't want it won't find an unpleasant surprise.

11. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

12. Ardmore

Thanks for the input, but that setting doesn't remove the existing tags for me. And I never expected it to, as it even says this at the bottom of that page:

"NOTE: Any previous emails that have already been tagged will retain the original tag."

It does prevent any additional tags from being added.

I think at this point we've just got a simple semantics issue going on as to what "remove" means, and so the thread is going in circles.

If, say, the moderator says he has removed a post from the forum, he means that they he's deleted something that was already there, not that he's prevented a future post.

Should probably just let this thread fade into the archives, although again I hope the next version of NOD32 specifically provides an opportunity for opt-out of email tagging during installation (or better yet changes the default to no tagging). That way no buyer will be caught by surprise.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I have to say I have several friends using NOD 32 as a direct result of the email tagging. They see the tags and ask me about my Av solution.

14. Ardmore

So you and I have different preferences as to when and how to communicate program recommendations to our friends and colleagues.

I've already recommended NOD32 to several friends, but with cautions about the email tagging (and a warning about the very bad email tech support -- at least what I've experienced thus far).

That's why my suggested solution of opt-out during installation would be perfect. We would each get to choose whether or not we want our emails to bring attention to our selection of AV, with no chance of blindsiding those who would choose not to. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.