how do i exclude certain folders and files?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by cyberxs, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyberxs

cyberxs Registered Member

Hi, I'm pretty new to FD-ISR and I actually like it quite a bit so far. :thumb:

The only problem I'm having is that I can't get it to exclude certain folders and files, but maybe i'm doing something wrong? o_O

For instance, I have C:\Windows\Prefetch listed but when I look at the log after a manual of scheduled copy, I still see many of the files in this folder being copied (some even generate errors). I've tried entering C:\Windows\Prefetch\*.* but that didn't work either. I've removed it from the list, restarted, added it back, restarted to no avail. btw, other excluded folders listed work just fine.

Another related issue: How can I exclude all folders that have "Temporary Internet Files" in them?

I'm using FirstDefense-ISR 2000/XP Professional, ver. 1.05 Build 166

I'm logged on with Administrator rights and have AVGFree AV and PrimaryResponse SafeConnect running for security (in case it'll shed some light on my issue).

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to exclude any files that have any system association. Prefetch for sure fits that bill.

What you should consider is anchoring My Documents, but not the full Documents and settings folder. It contains application and some system type stuff.

Pete

3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I don't tend to exlcude stuff these days but you can do this

Options - tasks - exclude - browse the folder that you want to exclude.

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

personally I'd rather put data on a different partition than use data anchoring

I agree with Peter about system files - you could delete prefetch data or just turn it off. Why not copy it?

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't anchor anything in my system partition. Like starfish, I store all my data on a second harddisk and that allows me to access all my data in EACH snapshot. If I would have 6 snapshots, I would have 6 folders "Documents and Settings". That would create a mess in my personal data files.

6. cyberxs

Well, I'd still like to not back them up since they generate log errors; which is annoying since the window pops up after every scheduled backup. Besides, Windows XP will just rebuild that folder as needed.

I store My Documents and all of my other data on different drives (which I backup using other means) so I use no anchoring at the moment. Basically, I like to keep my "system" snapshots light.

Anyway, does this mean there is a known bug with file exclusions, or just when excluding particular ones?

7. cyberxs

I'm not sure what my data has to do with my initial question but as far as the Prefetch files go, it's actually not a good idea to delete them on the active, running OS - it'll just slow your next application loading times until Windows rebuilds them. However, I would like Windows to do this if ever I need to boot to one of my backup snapshots.

btw, I only use FD for system backup purposes, not for booting to different configurations or OS's.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Peter,
    I never anchored any folders, so I have no experience with anchoring, but I wonder how this works in practice regarding personal files.

Suppose you have 2 snapshots, the primary as working snapshot and secondary as rollback snapshot.
    In which snapshot do you store personal files to keep them together and what if you have more than 2 snapshots o_O
    It's just an informative question, because I don't need anchoring. :)

9. Peter2150

FD is not a backup program. If you lose your hard disk, FD is of no help

10. Peter2150

I've never changed from anything from the primary, so with that in mind, if you are in the primary and turn on anchoring of say my documents, then on the next update of any other snapshot you will see it delete all the files from the other snapshots. Conversely if you had data anchoring on, and turned it off, then on the next update, FDISR will copy the files in the other snapshot.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.