how do i delete a worm?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by DuaneBlomberg, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DuaneBlomberg

DuaneBlomberg Registered Member

prevx says i have a worm along with some other spyware. i was wondering how to delete it?

2. thathagat

thathagat Guest

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Re: how do i delete a worm

or visit some of the dedicated sites that help with such removals

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

5. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I would test with Anti-Malware Toolkit (http://www.lunarsoft.net/downloads/cat_view/39-anti-malware-toolkit) and Hitman Pro (http://www.hitmanpro.nl/en/downloads/) to clean out the malware on the system.

I would download and run these in Safe-Mode with Networking, with Hitman going first. It includes like only top engines, 5 of them or so, with Prevx being one of them. Everything is cloud-based, so it looks through your files on the local machine and verifies it against the cloud. It's been noted that it's using an old version of the Prevx engine compared to what is seen in the full 3.0 right now, so we can only hope that the latest update for Hitman improved on that, but then it'll still have the other engines at your disposal; G-Data, AntiVir, A-Squared and NOD32. Let's hope that will solve the case. Note that you can indeed clean atleast this first time with Hitman, but being quite amazing it does have a price tag, so from the first clean it's valid 30 days forward, then you've lots of durations of a license to choose from on their website, depending on the situation.

On second thought while writing this - let's start with that. See if Hitman Pro solves it. If not, I'll go into detail on Anti-Malware Toolkit. The scan of Hitman should finish very quickly, and unknown items for the database will be uploaded for further analyzis to always ensure highest possible safety.

Loman, could you confirm that the samples that are sent to the cloud are automatically also sent to the vendors that you use in your software at the same time?

6. raven211

7. DuaneBlomberg

i did a scan with hitman pro it found a trojan that i never new i had,and also 3 malware

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

No worries, simular replies increase problability that it could be a viable answer ;)

Yes, although I only have experience with it on XP, I use it alongside Autorun of MicroSoft

9. raven211

Most important of all... did this solve your problem, or do we need to look into it further?

10. raven211

Thanks, Kees. :)

EDIT: Although a little to advanced for me in terms of a simple startup manager, it sure seems to be a great tool for spotting startup-malware - it's basically going to my list. :D Then again, if you recommended it, I don't doubt its effectiveness. :p You're classed as an expert in many areas here by lots of members. :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  11. DuaneBlomberg

yes thank you eveyone

12. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

Format and Reinstall operating system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.