How do I create a rule in ESS to allow access to time servers?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stevenoon, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevenoon

stevenoon Registered Member

Hi all,

I usually run the ESS 3.x.x firewall in interactive mode and have been having problems updating my PC's time on all time servers that I tried.

I changed ESS to Automatic mode which resolved the problem.

My question is - how do I make ESS connect to time servers in interactive mode. I'm getting no prompts when it tries to connect. Do I need to create a firewall rule, if so, can someone please provide details for the rule.

Many thanks,

Steve.

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If you look at the predefined rules, you will see one called "Allow time synchronization (NTP)", which applies to the Trusted zone. You need to make a similar rule for the Internet zone as follows: -

Application: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    Protocol: UDP
    Direction Both
    Remote Port: 123
    Remote IP: Any
    Local Port: 123
    Local IP: Any

If you don't want to create a rule yourself you can get ESS to do this automatically by updating the Internet Time manually (needs administrator rights). In Interactive mode, ESS should display a couple of alerts - one for outbound access to the time server and another for inbound access from the time server - and should offer to create the rules for you. If you are not getting alerts, you will need to check to see if there are any other rules that may be blocking access.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.