How do I connect to Tor from China?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Nov 15, 2014.

1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I am from Canada, but I am living in China for this November. I tried connecting to the Tor network recently, but to no avail. How do I access the Tor network in China if the Chinese government is apparently blocking Tor? I am trying to use Tor from my iPad right now. The question is...how do I access Tor from China with my iPad ?

2. Randcal

Randcal Registered Member

3. DesuMaiden

4. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

5. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I like using a good vpn as my obfuscation method (bridge). China blocks openvpn but you can "wrap" the vpn tunnel in ssl or ssh and from there TOR works fine because it is hidden in the bridge/tunnel. I am using that exact connection at this time. I assure you it will work in China!!

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

AirVPN offers SSH and SSL (Stunnel) proxies to their VPN servers, and iVPN uses obfsproxy (developed for Tor). Based on some testing, obfsproxy seems to do a better job, hiding from the GFW. But it's nontrivial to meaningfully test this stuff without actually being in China.

7. Palancar

Yep, both of those providers do a great job as Mirimir stated above. Air I know has "many" chinese residents that use their vpn client. That client has a simple tick box on startup to "wrap" (create either an SSL or SSH configuration) the tunnel. The wrapper simply avoids DPI (deep packet inspection) of the vpn tunnel. This prevents the national firewall surveillance from knocking out the connection. Once connected you can use TOR through the connection and you'll be fine.

I am more familiar with Android stuff. I can only tell you what I have read on the iPad stuff.

If you check on the status of both mentioned providers you will see 5000 members connected at this time and several/quite a few are from China. No forum threads or "tickets" that I have run across other than beginner learning. It really does work.

8. DesuMaiden

I am using hotspot shield VPN to connect to Tor in China.

9. Palancar

Sounds good. Enjoy!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.