How do I completely uninstall PE 9.0?

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by zigmund, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zigmund

zigmund Registered Member

Kept getting error 2 see earlier post.
    Uninstalled PE 9.0
    A lot of Acronis registry keys left that give Error when you try to delete them.
    Tried in Safe Mode
    Tried with regedit.exe and regedt32.exe both give Error unable to delete key, I'm in XP Administrator mode.
    Properties for these keys show I have access.
    Why can't these keys be deleted?
    You expect uninstall to actually uninstall.
    Are there instructions for complete uninstall of PE 9.0 (short of a reformat and reinstall of XP)?

2. werne

werne Registered Member

Don't hold your breath waiting for the Official Acronis reply as they don't come around here very often. However, I've had a lot of experience lately installing and uninstalling PES 9.0 so I can give you a few tips. First, make sure you have a backup of everything (an image file is desired which will get you back a working system in a very short period of time). Second, uninstall all Acronis products (this means reboot after every uninstall even if not prompted to do so). Third, delete the subfolder at c:\program files\common files\aconis. You may not be able to do so because of the schedule2 subfolder. If that is the case then delete everything but that folder - reboot again). Third, run CCleaner available at http://www.ccleaner.com/. It is very good at deleting ghost registry entries to programs no longer installed. Reboot. Fourth, again make darn sure that you have a working backup. Fifth, now go through the registry with regedit and try to delete every entry you can find (using acronis as the search term). The reason for the backups is that I frequently found at this point that I was unable to boot into windows because of files like timntr.sys (from True Image). If you don't have any other Acronis product, then maybe all this will work. If you do then be ready to use your backup to place your OS back on the computer the way it was until you get the official instructions from Acronis. They may reply here too, but I have found them to be very reliable in replying to requests for help. They have a new system for asking for help (not email). See previous posts by Menorcaman on this topic. Or go to their web site for instructions (I haven't looked it up but I presume it's there somwhere). Also try running CCleaner again and hope for the best. Then reinstall your other Acronis products (if you have any). Good Luck! Or bite the bullet like I have, and live with some entries that seem nigh on impossible to delete but which don't seem to hurt anything.

P.S. I didn't find much difference in doing this in Safe mode vs. regular boot up but it's probably easier in safe mode without all the other stuff loaded in memory. By this I mean editing the registry as you must uninstall in regular mode (the windows installer/uninstaller doesn't work in safe mode). CCleaner works just fine in safe mode.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  3. werne

werne Registered Member

4. zigmund

zigmund Registered Member

Many thanks, I'll give it another go using CCleaner.
    I was happy with PE 8.0 and found that it's exceptions was one it's most useful configuration options. It would keep flagging Limewire and other programs I was happy with. AFAIK Limewire isn't a virus, just that most that you download is infected.
    PE 9.0 lost that facility and has been a pain in the butt, so I'm just trying to get rid of it.
    Seems that in the process I ended up with several instances of the install with
    registry keys (0) (1) and so on for each instance.
    None can be deleted.
    I'll Ghost image the OS and start from there.
    PE 9 seems to be similar to Norton and Zone Alarm, you can't do a clean uninstall, and keys that can't be removed are littered throughout the registry.

5. werne

werne Registered Member

Your problem intrigued me, so I followed my own advice and found that there indeed were a lot of entries of Acronis left over in the registry after uninstalling, rebooting, using CCleaner, and editing the registry. They were mostly legacy entries and one Acronis software entry which normally you can not delete (the legacy entries that is). It took me an hour, but if you right click on each of those entries (after doing everything else I mentioned before) and change the permissions to full control for whatever name you logged on with (Administrator, your user name, whatever), then you can delete that entry. Voila, no Acronis entries. I used a registry utility to compress the registry and it compressed 7%. That is a whole lot of entries. Nothing sinister here just that Acronis, like a lot of manufacturers, isn't good about uninstalling everything they install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.