How do I clone a single partition?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by XIII, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XIII

XIII Registered Member

How can you clone a single partition with TI? I do not see this option in my TI9... (do I need a newer version?)

Reason I'm asking: I have a RAID-prepared SATA drive connected to the ICH10R controller of my P45 board. I plan to clone the entire drive every week to an external SATA drive. Whenever I mess up in Windows I would like to "restore" (=clone) only the Windows partition. This can be done with Ghost, but strange enough Ghost works much faster when I set the ICH10R controller to IDE instead of RAID in the BIOS (Windows however will only boot with option RAID because the single drive is RAID-prepared). Because of the problems I've had with a hard drive failure I want to switch to a RAID1 setup (put an extra identical drive in the PC). I'm very afraid that using Ghost in IDE mode will corrupt the RAID array. I'd really like to use TI to clone/restore a single partition. How can I do that?

Note: I really want a clone for a backup, no proprietary (tib) format; not even zip...

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

In True Image, the Clone feature works only for the entire physical drive.

3. XIII

XIII Registered Member

That was what I feared...

Acronis Support, any chance of adding this feature in a new verson?

I find it rather strange that it is missing...

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

To each is own.

I'll tell you what Xpilot does in case he isn't around and you can see if it is of any use to you.

He has his drives in caddies so they are easily swappable. He makes an image of his partition(s), swaps HDs and immediately restores the image to a second drive also in a caddy. He then runs the restored drive for the next period which confirms all is well and he still has the original for a backup.

Since he uses the drive he can see that the restore worked so he has no need to validate an archive which saves some time.

5. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Nice scheme...

However, I have to remove at least 8 screws just to get the drive out of the external case, so such a scheme is no option for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.