How Do I Boot From DVD?

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Pooua, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooua

Pooua Registered Member

Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 2011 installed only 1 boot option; my primary OS partition. It won't allow me to boot from DVD, even when I make the DVD the first boot device in BIOS. I don't see any way to add the option of booting from DVD, either. I tried running the Boot Configuration Manager, but that has only the option of changing the default boot timeout.

Thank you.

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Please forgive me, but I need you to clarify the problem you are having.

3. Pooua

Pooua Registered Member

The problem that I am having is that Paragon Boot Manager does not give me the option to boot from DVD. I have only 1 option in the boot manager; booting from my primary hard drive. I have no way to select any other bootable partition.

I want to boot from a bootable DVD, but the only way I can do that right now is to unplug all my hard drives.

4. Paragon_Matt

You can either choose to perform a 1-time boot which is usually F12 or F10 or you can go into the bios and choose to boot to CD first, I had no issues what so ever booting to a CD or DVD for that matter.

5. Pooua

Pooua Registered Member

Paragon Boot Manager does not allow these actions to be completed. It overrides any attempt I make to boot off anything except the primary boot partition, unless I unplug all my hard drives.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Paragon boot manager can't affect your bios boot order. It replaces the IPL on your hard drive.

You need to go into bios settings and set your dvdrom drive as first in bios boot order.

That will tell your bios to look at the dvdrom drive first to see if there is anything bootable , if it doesn't find anything bootable there, it will then look at the next device in the bios boot order.

If you have done that -and you are getting Paragon boot manager, that means it still booting from the hard drive, and there may a problem with your dvdrom drive or the dvd itself

Have you tried booting from a cd , instead of dvd?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  7. Pooua

Pooua Registered Member

I doubt anything is wrong with the DVD, because I can boot from it if I disconnect the hard drives. I can boot from it on any other computer. It is only if I leave the drive with Paragon installed on it connected to my computer that I cannot boot from this or any other DVD.

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Perhaps uninstall paragon boot manager, then see if you can boot from dvd.

I haven't looked at it for a long while - there is an option to uninstall it in the main program.

9. Paragon_Matt

Just as an update I did perform a test where I chose the 1-time boot menu as well as choosing to boot to the DVD first in the boot order both allowed me to boot to the CD/DVD before the boot manager loaded. Neither had an issue booting to the disk. I would recommend going into the BIOS and changing the boot order to boot to the DVD and see if that will work.

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

@matt,

I don't think uninstalling pbm will make any difference.

If the Pooua tries it - then he will know.

11. Paragon_Matt

Agreed, him uninstalling the boot manager will be the easiest way to tell. I just wanted to clarify that this has been tested and no issue was found.

12. Pooua

Pooua Registered Member

Apparently, I have to set the boot order of my computer each time that I want to boot off something other than the default hard drive. My computer's BIOS never actually sets the boot order; it just asks me which device I'd like as my first boot device. Then, it laughs at me.

I was finally able to boot off the DVD, but, as I say, I have to set the boot sequence each time I boot.

13. Paragon_Matt

You may want to update your firmware, there should be settings to manually adjust the boot order and save the config.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.