how do i block ads on sites with adblock???

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by cheater87, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

i tried right clicking and selecting block but they keep coming back. anyone know howo_O i want to view gamefaqs, gamespot and myspace with no ads.

2. Ailric

Ailric Guest

3. Ailric

Ailric Guest

4. cheater87

ok i downloaded the chroam edit extension for firefox how do i add it??

5. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Go to your profile folder. Place userContent.css in the folder named chrome.
    That's it.

6. cheater87

just when i was about to do that all the ads on gamefaqs went away. kewl haha i guess adblock kicked in

7. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Right click an ad, select Adblock, then look at the URL and put an * after the most important part, for example http://red2.theprovider.com/* and delete everything to the right of the asterisk. This then become a high level filter and blocks all the ads from the 'provider', since they keep changing all the time.

8. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Yup Adblock is the best extension I have ever used so far.
    I highly recommend it to anyone who are sick and tired of ads, popup flash banners etc.
    Happy surfing ;)

9. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Adblock will not block background images. You have to trick it into doing it.

Take GameSpot.com for instance. Today they have a banner ad that has 50Cent in it. You cannot right-click on it to get Adblock to block it, you have to right-click on the background and slect "View Background Image". Copy that address and enter it into your Adblock filter.

In this example, if you right click on the image, Adblock sees the following:

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/b.gif

But that URL bogus. Block it by adding this entry to your filter:

gamespot/b.gif

Right click on the image again. This time select "View Background Image". The real image that you will discover is:

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/shared/promos/bonusnav/20050725_50cent.gif

I added the following line to my filter to block it, and any future backgrounds:

shared/promos

That blocks anything coming from that directory structure.

10. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

They probably just rotated their advertising to different sponsers. They may come back. Tom's Hardware, CNN, Yahoo, they all do it. That is one of the reasons why I went after the directory structure in the example above. Clearly GameSpot was trying to do an end run on Adblock users by throwing in a tiny transparent, 1x1 pixel image over it. They stretched the 1x1 image over the larger one to throw you a curve ball.

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    This is a side note, but you might try the Proxomitron web filter.
    I use both Proxomitron and basic Adblock and have no problems whatsoever with ads. If you need more suggestions about Proxo or filter sets for it, don't hesitate to ask.
    Mrk

12. ---

This hides rather than blocks ads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.