How do I allow large file email attachments to get through?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Openrice2000, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Openrice2000

Openrice2000 Registered Member

Hi, I have Eset Smart Security 5 on my Windows XP. Is there a way to allow large file email attachments to get through without disabling the Incoming email scan altogether? If yes, please show me how. Tks!

2. P_R_

P_R_ Eset Staff Account

Hello,

do you have any particular issue with that?

What e-mail client do you use?

What protocol do you use to sync your messages?

3. Openrice2000

The issue I was having was that emails with large file attachments were not getting through to my Outlook Express. So I disabled the ESET email scanning for inbound emails and the problem was solved. However, I do not like the idea of disabling that function and was wondering whether there was some way of configuring the ESET to scan large file attachments instead of blocking them out altogether.

Are you able to help?

Thanks!

4. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello Openrice2000,

What you can do is increasing the e-mail time-out settings of your mail client. You can find the instructions here.
    You can always change what the maximum size is of files. Open Eset go to advanced settings, web & email,email protection, ThreatSense engine parameter setup, click on settings, limit, there you enter what the maximum size of a file is that Eset realtime scanner may scan. I don't have an English version of Eset Smart Security.

Regards
    Niels

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. Openrice2000

Thank you so much, Niels - it was just what I was looking for!

6. Hans Nieuwenhuis

Hans Nieuwenhuis Registered Member

I receive quite often e-mails with corrupted attachments. They are not completely downloaded. I'm using Thunderbird as my e-mail client.

Can these corrupted attachments be caused by Eset Smart Security?

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7/8, rule out the possibility that the issue is caused by this hotfix by uninstalling it.

8. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello Openrice2000,

No problem.

Regards
    Niels

9. Hans Nieuwenhuis

When was that hotfix released? If I go to that article, I read:

Article ID: 2735855 - Last Review: September 11, 2012 - Revision: 1.0

So I assume it was released in September. Some files in that hotfix are from July 20.

I don't remember exactly, but I'm rather sure that I had already problems with non-complete attachments before July.

I found on the Thunderbird website something about incomplete attachments, but that didn't help either.

http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=12472

I have issues on 2 computers: both are running Windows 7 64 bits, 1 is running Eset Smart Security 5 and the other is running Eset Smart Security 6.

10. Hans Nieuwenhuis

I've switched from Eset Smart Security (5 and 6) to another Internet Security product on both computers.

Immediately the attachments in the e-mails are received correctly. On both computers we receive almost daily attachments from colleagues/customers. I don't have time to investigate why the attachments were sometimes corrupted with Eset.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If the new product does not utilize WFP, it's obvious that the bug in WFP would not manifest. However, in that case it's likely the product utilizes techniques not supported by Windows 8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.