How difficult is it to run as a limited user account for day to day use?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by wearetheborg, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

How difficult is it to run as a limited user account for day to day use?

A lot of people seem to prefer running as admin, always. Why? There are people who like to constantly tinker with the registry, apart form them, why would you need to run as admin when not doing computer maintainence/installing programs?

2. Soujirou

Soujirou Registered Member

It probably depends on the operating system you use. I've heard it's a chore in Windows XP but it's pretty easy in Windows 7. The only problem I encounter is that sometimes programs don't like to run under an LUA. I had problems getting Malwarebytes to run in real-time, but it's fine on my admin account. It has been a while since I've tried it though.

3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Some apps really need admin rights, defraggers, some AV's etc. You can use SuRun to give admin rights to these programs under LUA.

Some older or poorly written apps need to write to their own program files folder, by keeping UAC enabled those write attempts will be redirected to user account folders so these apps will continue to work without problem.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

5. BryanW

BryanW Registered Member

My computer has been running Windows 7 for a couple of months. For normal daily use, I estimate that I need to run a program as admin about 5 times. I quickly enter the password and continue. For computer maintenance, the need to elevate use rights is more frequent, but still not a bother. There never has been a need for me to log onto the computer with the admin account since in my situation everything can easily be accomplished with the standard user account.

6. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

Step out of your comfort zone and develop new habits. Sometimes issues aren't issues at all, just old habits. When it comes to computers, always be open to new ideas and methods especially with security. In the long run, you'll be glad you did. ;)

7. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Didn't we just do this thread?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=278506

You wouldn't. I sure don't.

But as was established in the other thread, not everyone feels that way.

Indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.